Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

So my baby boy has had great breath all along except when he was teething. Recently I am smelling that same smell again....but isn't he done with teething by now? It's a distinct smell and it is 馃あ.

He is otherwise very healthy and he's on Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach.

Thank you all in advance! 馃槉
20200712_113834.jpg

Registered
The Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula that I feed is salmon based. Is yours?

Registered
Dog have glands on both sides of their anus! Those gland secret a substance that smells like really bad fish! Dogs will occasionally, lick these glands, when they do, you will know it. These glands can get inflamed and/or infected. If they are the dog will be licking and scooting around at times (if your dog is doing this, see your vet). Regardless, next time you go to your vet have him check the Anal Glands and show you how to care for them....If you give your dog baths or have them done, see that these anal glands get washed off well and squeezed (after your vet shows you how).

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm no signs of anal gland issues. The food is salmon based. This just started about a week ago. It's a real mystery! 馃

Super Moderator
try brushing his teeth after meals and see if that helps.

Registered
Could it just be that the fishy breath is from eating a salmon-based food?

Registered
My golden, is over a year and he has literally always had bad smelling breath.. very fishy. And we even tried a breath freshener, those greenie treats. Nothing helped !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts