Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have a gorgeous retriever called Finn, who is being a pain in the bottom at the moment! We are still going to training classes, and have just started agility training with him. He barks his way through the training hour and gets bored very easily. He is very intelligent and quick to learn. We take our Kong with us, to give him something to do..but how do we stop him barking at things?
We take him on hour long walks daily (we try to do 2 x 1hr, but not always possible) and feed him royal cannine food, but hes is pulling badly on the lead when he sees something he wants, and i am struggling to hold him. He is now deciding to trash the garden as well.

Is this a common problem at this age? I work from home at the moment, but am getting a new office tomorrow, where he can come with me, but i dont want all these problems when i am on the phone to clients?

What do we do to stimulate him more? is that the problem? Do we get him neutered?

Hes not a bad dog, he is normally very good, but hes turning into a nightmare??!!

Any views/advice would be appreciated :confused:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
they all wax and wane from time to time. You just have to let them know your the boss. Sounds like he is testing his order in the family and is trying to push you around. Don't let him. And if he barks in class he should be removed from the room until he settles. Don't let the bad behavior win.

It's normal pup stuff, but if you don't get control of it...they do take advantage.

Might switch to a harness as it will give you more control on walks and won;t pull his neck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what we did last night, took him out of the room. He does everything he is told to - just barks at the same time, making it difficult to reward!!

We have a lead with a harness that we slip over his head when needs be, hes just hard to control even with that on, hes 24kg already...

If he starts to bark at home, we should keep putting him out the room?

Any good advice on toys/tips to keep him entertained while i try and work? :(

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think some of it is age. At that age, they are asserting their independence. Keep doing what you are doing and he will get the hang of it. If you can find some antlers (exlarge) try letting him chew on those. It will keep him occupied.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I carry a spray bottle of diluted vinegar with me to discourage barking. I've been told that a container of Binaca breath spray works just as well and is easier to carry.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
as to barking in class - can you take along a frozen peanut butter Kong?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Funny that I have the same problem with my 8 month old Fionna! My older dog (Finn) is behaving quite nicely compared to this little girlie terror! If this is the age asserting itself...when does it end!>>!>!??? What happenned to my sweet little Fionna and Who the heck is this crazy girl dog??? :) My Empathy! :) Hopefully it will get better for us!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bailey also barks during the classes, not consistently but quiet often. I think she's frustrated to see all the dogs and not being able to play with them.
We usually give her a peanut butter kong so that keeps her busy and quiet at the same time... so with all the peanut butter and treats for the training she had her lunch for the day.

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
You have a teenager! He will grow out of most of this, just be consistent and patient.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I know it sounds funny, but teach him to bark on command! Also, be very careful with your timing of giving him any kind of toy or treat if he barks. You are just rewarding him for the vocalization. Tell him, "no bark", or quiet and if he stops barking, then give him a treat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts