Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am looking for support, no negative feedback. I had my 8 Month old male Ben, neutered a couple of weeks ago and regretting it like crazy. I did it so he could get into daycare as there are many times I do not have other options. I need to hear back from owners that had their Goldens neutered around the same time and their dog turned out okay, no obvious misalignments, heath issues, injuries or small heads and all. Both my previous female Goldens were spayed at 6 months and turned beautiful and lived to 14. But with all this new information though I am having a hard time. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,759 Posts
Don't beat yourself up with guilt. The decision around neutering is so difficult - you have to often take into account lifestyle along with health. As you know, it is just not possible for everyone to have an intact male, especially if you live in the city, have a dogwalker, or need to rely on daycare. The research simply says neutering a male increases rates of various joint injuries or cancers - it does not guarantee they will occur. In females, spaying before first heat can increase the chance of some joint issues, and spaying after first heat increases the rates of some pretty awful cancers. And not all early neutered dogs will get tall or grow funny. Enjoy your dog - you can't change anything, and it's not worth worrying.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
Welcome!

You had a difficult choice to make and you made the best possible decision for you........

Twenty five years ago when I got my first Golden and I was completely new to Goldens and information regarding neutering wasn't as readily available as it is now, I followed my Vet's advice to neuter my first boy at 6 months. He lived to be 15.5..........

My 2nd Golden was spayed at 2 years, she lived to be 11.
My current boy was neutered at 2, he's 11 now.

·
Registered
535 Posts
From what I have read on the subject, there is not a definitive answer on when it is best to neuter a dog, or if we really should neuter dogs at all. Many studies have been done, and the results frequently provided evidence that you should do, this or that, but none of this is definitive, from what I have read... We have owned over 8 Golden's (two still with us today). Three were males.

All of our dogs over the years were fixed! All of our Golden's died from different types of cancers, they all were between 10 and 14 years old, with one exception who we put down because of a problem with aggression...but he too had a cancer in his leg, at the time we put him down...

So bottom line, let this go, none of us know for sure what is best! We all do what we believe is best for our dogs, based on the knowledge we have at the time....that's not only true for our dogs, but us too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts