Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 8 mo old golden, Bodie, just came back from a weekend at the kennel. This is the first time we had to board him. All went well, except he would not relieve himself in his run (all concrete -- he has only even gone on grass prior to this weekend, so not surprised). Anyway, just now as he was sleeping he began to pee in his sleep. It woke him up, he stopped and I took him right outside where he emptied the rest of his bladder. He was out probably 1.5 to 2 hours prior to this happening and seemingly emptied his bladder then as well. His housebreaking has gone really well and he's only had a handful of accidents since we brought him home at 8 weeks.

I'm wondering if he was "holding it" for too long while he was at the kennel and it caused a UTI? I know that action can cause a UTI in humans, but I'm not sure if dogs can get UTIs for the same reason. I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary. He doesn't have a fever and the times he has urinated since his been home didn't seem to cause pain or discomfort. He also isn't whining to go out with great frequency.

It's only happened once, so I think I'll watch for other signs or multiple happenings before I become really concerned, but I've also read that UTIs in male dogs can be more harmful/dangerous that in females. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
My Buddy is very difficult about weeing and will hold his bladder for hours if we are not at home. My vet suggested Cranberry juice as a contribution to preventing UTIs and of course unlimited amounts of water. Only good quality juice not sugary. Buddy loves it as a treat every few days. I even freeze it and put it in his kong and he waits for every last drop to melt. No harm in trying.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think it's absolutely possible and highly likely he has a UTI. Peeing in his sleep is not normal even for a puppy not yet housebroken. I would advise a vet visit. If he has an active infection he's going to need meds and the sooner the better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your input. He hasn't had any other accidents, nor is he showing any other signs of infection. If he did have a UTI, would he have a fever? Other symptoms?

I've have UTIs in the past and don't ever remember having a fever accompany them, but again, I don't know if things are different for dogs. Plus, I could have had a low grade fever and just not known.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts