Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 8 month-old intact puppy, Louie, has been marking while on walks for a few months now. We initially thought it was UTI-related, which he has suffered from in the past, however, it is very obvious marking now. He also, just this week, has been lifting his leg on occasion. This is all behavior that I know is normal, but would prefer for this to stay in-check, as I really do not like the thought of him peeing on every single fire hydrant, tree, etc etc.

We are trying to wait until at least 12 months to have him neutered, however I'm wondering if we should do it sooner, now that he is marking and lifting his leg.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
'Marking' is normal behavior, neutered or not, some dogs mark and some do not. On walks, for my 'incessant' marker, I curb the behavior in a couple of ways: by using the 'Leave it' cue, given before he starts to lift his leg, after he has had a few seconds to sniff, and encourage him to keep moving or move away from the 'post'. I do let him satisfy his natural instinct and desire to 'read the news' but not every post by creating distance between him and the likely target, curving away from it, as we approach.

·
Wendy
864 Posts
My year old,intact Golden likes to mark over top of my spayed female's mark. She is a mutt and was spayed at 5 1/2 months. She would love to stop and mark everything, if she could. She actually learned to mark, after she was spayed.

What I do, when I walk them, is stay on the sidewalk, at the heel and allow them certain spots to mark, so we all get exercise. I'm usually headed to the park and they get more freedom there. My last Golden never marked, or lifted his leg, but was neutered quite young. Any dogs, I've had in the past, neutering them, didn't stop them from lifting their leg or marking.

Reactions: mhuston

·
Registered
296 Posts
My 10 month old started marking when he was around 7 months and it was constant and he left no bush or rock alone. And he has his favorite spots that he just can't leave alone. I started using the Leave It command and a quick tug on the leash to have him keep walking. I still allow him to pee on his 4 favorite bushes though. There's something about them plants that is irresistible. I must add that he got neutered last week. I have noticed that he no longer stops to mark on everything like before. I haven't had to use the leave it command as much, gone down from 7-8 times during our walk to maybe 3. He still pees on his favorite spots though!

·
Registered
265 Posts
My 1.5 yr old will lift his leg occasionally on walks to mark. When I talked to my vet about this he said this was just normal activity for most male and female dogs. Just a dog being a dog.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My adopted 11 year old was neutered at about 1 1/2 and never lifted his leg and always went like a girl. My 1 1/2 old pup started at about 8 months and marks and covers almost anything he smells interesting. It was funny watching him start because he would loose his balance trying to lift his leg. More than once he marked his front leg. We usually walk in the woods so it isn't a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts