Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‎7 years ago today. CABG x 4 as they like to say in the medical community. Quadruple bypass to us lay people. The beginning of a nightmare that I am just now getting over. But it saved my life even though there were many times when I wished they hadn't bothered. I am glad they bothered. I have a kind of unique perspective in that it is certain I would have died suddenly without it, probably within a year. I view each day now as something extraordinary that I would have missed out on.

Hug you friends and family, give your puppers an extra biscuit. Smile at people. Do what you love to do, even if it's just for a few minutes everyday. We don't know where our journey will end...or when...or how. Until then...don't waste a minute of it!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
So today is almost like a birthday .... well, Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I lost two long time friends suddenly this year to heart issues and I still consider them much too young. Your advice is sage. Enjoy your days, find something good about each one, cherish your friends and loved ones because you don't know what awaits the following day.

·
Kristy
9,814 Posts
So today is almost like a birthday .... well, Happy Birthday!
Happy birthday! And thank you for the reminder that every day is a gift. :). I'm glad you're still around. You're one of the people on this forum I'm always interested to hear from.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I'm glad that the docs were able to offer you the opportunity to live....and Im even more grateful that you took them up on the deal! Happy Holidays!!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember vividly the thorasic surgeon reading me the informed consent: infection, stroke, death. I remember thinking...not much of a choice here. You didn't even want me to go home after the stress test because you thought I'd drop dead over the weekend!! Just show me where to sign and :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing I did have the stroke, a mini, which is very common. And I did get the infection. More on that and THOSE anniversary dates coming soon! It was the beginning of a very big deal!

I'm glad that the docs were able to offer you the opportunity to live....and Im even more grateful that you took them up on the deal! Happy Holidays!!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7 years ago I was readmitted to the hospital for a raging infection. I was put in a drug induced coma for 3 days while they debrided the infection in my sternum. The second day, they continued to debride and look for infection, the third day the performed 'flap surger' which took the pectoral muscles that had been attached to the now gone sternum, criss-crossed them and reattached them to my clavicle bones. I was given a less than 50-50 survival chance because of the diabetes.

They woke me up briefly the second day so my family could talk to me and then put me right back under. I remember the nurse or whoever saying "Okay she's getting too awake now" then nothing.

I stayed in the hospital for 2 more weeks getting i.v. antibiotics, then 3 more weeks at home thru a pic line, drain tubes for another 6 weeks. All together it was 5 months on various antibiotics. I was so afraid when they stopped them for fear I still had some cooties in there. But no, the infection was gone. It took 3 more months for the incision to finally close up.

I had to wake up on life support 3 times. Every time I have a rough go of something I remember that anything is better than being on a ventilator.

There are a lot of things, sounds and smells that take me right back to that awful time. The Vonnage commercial with the do-do music is one of them. Spiced tea is another. It was also made terrible because we were renting a dark paneled cottage and building a new house. I remember dark and awful.

I'm so happy to be on this side of that. I have incentive to STAY on this side of that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts