Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peyton has never had a problem with her crate since day 1 of being home. She whimpered for 5 minutes max for first few nights but since then pretty much nothing. Now she has never been thrilled to go into it, but goes in on her own (and own speed) on "kennel up". We have never physically forced her into it even when she's being "slow".

The past few weeks she has been getting more stubborn to go in when it's time, especially at night. She'll lay down on the flow and look at us all sad. Her crate has always been in the bedroom. We're pretty sure she wants to sleep on the bed but there just isn't room. Our two 11-year old cockers sometimes do but we don't feel they should lose privileges to the new puppy. We tried putting her sleeping blanket outside the crate for her to lay on but within minutes she's on the bed.

On weekends over the past month she takes her naps outside the crate during the day and does fine. She also has really matured over the last month and we can let her play inside without watching her all the time. She's good at obedience (and getting better at jumping) and probably the best behaved dog in her puppy class.

Just wondering if we should try letting her sleep outside the crate on the floor at night? If so how should I go about helping her know she can sleep on the floor but not the bed?

I wonder if she's trying to be more independent or maybe testing authority?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with a 7 month old sleeping outside the crate if you have a puppy proof bedroom or if you can trust her not to eat stuff if you don't have a puppy proof room.

The bed thing I'm not sure how to deal with though. I would just consistently tell her "off" or w/e command you use to tell her to get off of something and maybe she'll eventually get the hint that she isn't welcome. Also, I wouldn't let her on the bed at any other time to help push through the point that the bed isn't for her.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
When Hank stopped using the crate at night we put a gate across the doorway from our bedroom for awhile so he couldn't roam.

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
We transitioned from a crate to a dog bed in our room with a gate across the door. Worked beautifully!

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
If not using the crate and letting her loose at night doesn't work out, I feed mine in their crates. It keeps the crate a favorite place to be.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Is it possible that the crate is now too small to be comfortable all night. She sounds like a very good girl, maybe with a good reason for be reluctant to go into her crate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible that the crate is now too small to be comfortable all night. She sounds like a very good girl, maybe with a good reason for be reluctant to go into her crate.
This is a very interesting point. The crate is plenty big enough for her, but she is a big girl that likes to sprawl out and squirms a lot.

What do you put in your crates for bedding? Our cockers wanted nothing in theirs. Peyton has a mini comforter but maybe she wants more padding? Maybe I should buy a bed that would fit inside and outside?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts