Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- my 7.5 month old peed in his crate for the first time ever and I'm really beating myself up about it.

He had just been exercised and had peed an hour before going into the crate, but started barking after being in his crate for 10 minutes. We have been working on his nuisance barking, so I ignored him. Unfortunately when I went to let him out of the crate 30 minutes later, I saw that he had peed in the crate.

I've worked so hard to make his crate an enjoyable place and I'm now worried that he's going to hate his crate. He's not displaying any other odd behaviors so I don't think this is a health issue.

Outside of washing his crate liner with enzymatic cleaner and giving him either praise or a treat whenever he goes into his crate on his own, is there anything else I should do?

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
No need to worry until there is need to worry. ;) The worst that's likely to happen is that you'll need to back up a step or two and make being in his crate very rewarding again. and always make sure he's had a chance to pee just before you put him in his crate. It's a learning curve for both of you. For now, you'll just need to see how things shake out... you may find it hasn't been a set back at all...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No need to worry until there is need to worry. ;) The worst that's likely to happen is that you'll need to back up a step or two and make being in his crate very rewarding again. and always make sure he's had a chance to pee just before you put him in his crate. It's a learning curve for both of you. For now, you'll just need to see how things shake out... you may find it hasn't been a set back at all...
Thank you for your reply! Potty training has been one of the only areas we haven’t had issues with, so my anxiety is admittedly getting the better of me. We’ll take it slow and see how it goes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It still might be worth to reach out to your vet and make sure he doesn’t have a UTI. Our girl started having diarrhea accidents in her crate when she had a UTI, it was the absolute worst and really shook me up!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It still might be worth to reach out to your vet and make sure he doesn’t have a UTI. Our girl started having diarrhea accidents in her crate when she had a UTI, it was the absolute worst and really shook me up!
What a nightmare!! We have a vet visit scheduled just to be safe. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This is not a "Nightmare" it is a normal puppy! You have to calm down and don't get crazy every time he does what puppies do...like a human kid, he will screw up, some more some not so much! Your job is to be consistent show him what you want and keep showing him until he gets it! Some get it fast, some not so fast, but they all get it!

Going to the vet is a good idea, but just a step to be sure you know this is not related to a bladder problem or the like. This is more common in females, but sometimes boy pups get a little bacteria in the bladder...which is easy to fix. So just go with it and bring him home and keep on, keepin on! before you know it you will have the best darn dog you have ever imagined and all you have to do is just keep going...enjoy the ride, they are puppies for a very short time...

Enjoy..!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not a "Nightmare" it is a normal puppy! You have to calm down and don't get crazy every time he does what puppies do...like a human kid, he will screw up, some more some not so much! Your job is to be consistent show him what you want and keep showing him until he gets it! Some get it fast, some not so fast, but they all get it!

Going to the vet is a good idea, but just a step to be sure you know this is not related to a bladder problem or the like. This is more common in females, but sometimes boy pups get a little bacteria in the bladder...which is easy to fix. So just go with it and bring him home and keep on, keepin on! before you know it you will have the best darn dog you have ever imagined and all you have to do is just keep going...enjoy the ride, they are puppies for a very short time...

Enjoy..!
I didn’t say my puppy was a nightmare. I made that comment in reference to the other poster describing their pup’s bout with diarrhea.

I’m just trying to make sure I’m doing right by the little guy. He’s my first puppy (and first male dog) and I don’t have anyone else in my life who’s going through this process of raising one.

Thanks for your reply and for the reminder that things will likely turn out fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
is there anything else I should do?
Here's a thought: train him to bark only at command. So, when next time there is a urgent need for potty and he barks on his own, then you know that it isn't false alarm and/or seeking for attention.

For example, with our 6 month male pup, one time, we had last potty outing a bit early (we usually go 23:00 but that time, it was 22:00) and we put him into the crate for the night. He slept there for few hours or so, until woke up and started to bang on crate's door and when i looked at him, he was sitting next to the crate door. I knew right away that this isn't something he does normally, so, i let him out and we immediately went outside. And sure enough, he had to poop, which he did. Afterwards, we came back in and back to the crate he went. All was normal until morning, where we let him out ~07:00 and go potty ~08:00. Following was as usual.

Now, if i would've ignored his signs and odd behavior, he sure enough would've made poop inside the crate.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
My dog often drinks a good amount of water after exercising so that may be why he needed to go sooner than you anticipated. I wouldn't stress about it. I know some of the house breaking materials make it sound like a disaster if they have a crate accident but I'm pretty sure everything will go back to normal since you cleaned it up well. Don't let him pick up any of your anxiety about the crate, let it all be the usual normal happy experience

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dog often drinks a good amount of water after exercising so that may be why he needed to go sooner than you anticipated. I wouldn't stress about it. I know some of the house breaking materials make it sound like a disaster if they have a crate accident but I'm pretty sure everything will go back to normal since you cleaned it up well. Don't let him pick up any of your anxiety about the crate, let it all be the usual normal happy experience
Thank you for this. You’re absolutely right- all the house breaking material I’ve seen has been very doom and gloom re: crate accidents. I’m glad to know that it might not be the case.

Fortunately I was calm when taking him out of the crate and he’s had an otherwise fun day, so there’s not too much emotional funkiness for him to pick up on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My puppy had a few crate related accidents that did end up being at the same time she had a UTI, and she didn’t have any more after she was about half way through with her antibiotics. We are now two weeks past treatment and she has remained accident free. I’m not saying your puppy has a UTI, just trying to encourage you that a crate accident doesn’t mean your puppy will keep going in the crate.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My puppy had a few crate related accidents that did end up being at the same time she had a UTI, and she didn’t have any more after she was about half way through with her antibiotics. We are now two weeks past treatment and she has remained accident free. I’m not saying your puppy has a UTI, just trying to encourage you that a crate accident doesn’t mean your puppy will keep going in the crate.
Thank you! That was my exact concern and I appreciate the encouragement.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welp, we’re waiting at the emergency vet since our primary vet can’t get us in for another week and a half.

Our pup peed in his crate again yesterday. He had peed outside 10 minutes before going into the crate and peed in his crate within 45 minutes.

This morning there was a small amount of pee in his crate and he had completely chewed up his cooling mat. I took him outside to see if he’d pee again and noticed he was hunching his back as he peed.

For reference: we take his water away at 8pm every night, he goes out for his final potty break at 9:30 and goes to sleep right after. He typically gets up to pee at 7am. Both the crate peeing and chewing up his cooling mat are totally out of the norm for him.

I’m hoping we can get some answers today. I feel so bad for my pup.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Bladder infection

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welp, good news is that Odin doesn’t have a UTI! The vet’s opinion is that this is behavioral vs medical and that he could be beginning to mark.

We have a follow up with our primary vet next week and a private training lesson set up for next week as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts