Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so my 6 month old pup was spayed this morning. Picked her up at 4, and she seemed perky enough. Fairly large incision (three layers with staples on the top) Vet tells me not to worry about activity except for the next day or so. They said she was fine all afternoon. Throws up in the car on the ride home, then gave her one ice cube when we got home--she threw that up too. Now just laying around looking so sad and pathetic it's breaking my heart. Have cooked up some rice, but I'm not even sure I should try that this evening if she can;t keep down the slightest bit of water! This is my third golden, but I only had the first spayed and that was 15 years ago--don't remember much about the recovery or how she fared after surgery....any advise or helpful hints would be appreciated!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
That sounds about normal for the first day. My vet makes them spend the night. Keep her quiet, maybe a little water, but I would skip food until tomorrow.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I hope so--worried mommy....I am just so used to a high energy 6 month old, at this point in the evening she is usually zipping around the family room and leaping across sofas--and our last golden was also fairly perky after multiple tumor surgeries...she seems more tired since she came home--maybe just happy to be in her own space.....I'll skip the food this evening--she doesn't even have an interest--my vet seemed to think she'd be starving and want to gobble up food, so he recommended first starting with a bit of water, then maybe just a small portion and see if she kept it down....

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Seems normal but you do want to keep activity down, especially first week. Look for swelling and lumps which can indicate hernias and so forth.

I'm sure she'll recover very well with some extra TLC.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hoping tomorrow is a better day--i can't believe I am wishing for her usual crazy and out of control puppy behavior...perhaps I should just enjoy the moment--that I have not had for the last four months. Usually at this time I am chasing her around the house pulling undesirable items from her mouth....instead I am on the internet watching her nap--which I expected to not be able to do again until she was 3 years old....will post updates tomorrow--thanks to all for the words of wisdom!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, she's perked up a bit this morning. I didn't have the heart to put her in her crate last night because she was resting so comfortably by my feet, so I just slept next to her (what we won't do for our babies)! Wen't for a short little walk and a bit of kibble with rice this morning--so far so good!! And, she did a bit of countersurfing this morning--this is the pup I know!!!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Glad she is feeling better. Now comes the hard part, keeping her quiet for the next 10 days. It will be over before you know it and all this will be behind you. Take care

1 - 11 of 11 Posts