Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm totally new to this site and although I've read multiple reviews and threads about people buying a golden pup too early, I figured to ease my mind I needed to post one for myself! I found this breeder off craiglist, I know thats my first mistake. But the woman really seemed like a nice person. He will be wormed at 2,4, and 6 wks along w first set of shots and I am supposed to pick him up when he's six weeks old. ANyways, just wanted some advice about my little one and what your thoughts are. I have fostered puppies in the past who were 5 and 6 weeks old and I am fully aware of the constant care he will require and know he will need extra socialization. I am just nervous and was curious if anyone else had a similar situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
6 weeks is too early, but they are weaned. The problem is that their immune systems are not ready to take on the outside world. They received antibodies from mom, and now the immunizations are starting to build in their systems, but they are very
susceptible to disease until they are about 9 weeks. I'm sure you are going to want this puppy, and the breeder (shame on her!) will probably make you take the pup at 6 weeks, but to be safe, do NOT take this pup anywhere where he can come into contact with other dogs or their feces. Parvo is deadly to a pup and can be carried by adults who have no symptoms at all but if your pup comes into contact with it, will usually die at that young age. So if you must support this terrible greeder by taking the pup, (it's not the poor baby's fault) keep him home and refrain from walkies down the street, showing him off at Petsmart or the dog parks, and keep others from bringing their dogs over or into your yard until you can get him to a vet at about 9 weeks for a good 1st checkup. Hope all goes well and he's healthy and thrives for you!

·
Registered
18,251 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I think there is a law in Florida that they can not go to new homes till 8 weeks? You might want to find that out.

Reactions: EChoe88

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
If you have fostered pups early you should know how important it is for the pup to spend the time with their mom and even more their litter mates.

Breeders should want their puppies to have wonderful happy healthy lives when they go into their forever homes and do everything to ensure it. This breeder seems to be all about the money and doesn't want to do the work as the pups get mobile and really need to be monitored and guided.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041030171421/http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html
Learning he's a dog:

Canine Socialization

Primary Socialization period - 3 to 5 weeks

Secondary Socialization period - 6 to 12 weeks

"This period is especially important for the development of a stable emotional temperament and affective tone. Many social and emotional deficits observed in adult dogs are believed to result from removing puppies too early from the mother and littermates." -Steven R. Lindsay
21 to 49 days Puppy learns species specific behavior that makes him a dog (biting, chasing, barking, fighting and body posturing.

Learns to accept discipline from mother and to use submissive postures.

Learns not to bite too hard.

Learns to relate to other litter mates and develops a pack hierarchy through play.

Mother begins to wean puppies between 4-8 weeks, but should be allowed as much time with the pups as she wants.

Puppies require plenty of playtime with littermates, so they can socialize.

Leaving the litter before 7 weeks can affect the puppy's ability to get along with other dogs later and they will likely have trouble learning to inhibit the force of their bite.

Put an open crate in the puppy pen. Clear distinction between sleep and play area should be made. This ensures the puppy can leave his sleeping area to eliminate. This will make housetraining later much easier.

Each puppy should have one-on-one individual attention with humans. Take two at a time for short car rides.

Occasionally isolate puppies to prepare them for separation.

Puppy's rate of mental development will now depend on the complexity of their environment. Exposure to a variety of noises and different floor surfaces is important.

Begin positive training sessions at 5 weeks.

If you google critical developement stages there are a ton of pages that say the same thing as above.

So as others have said it is illegal to purchase the pup. You are also buying a pup that will be already be behind the curve to a successful life.

I would walk away. I would take the pup from a rescue or a shelter but I would not give money to a breeder that really doesn't care about the dogs. Every time some one supports this type of breeder it rewards her for hurting the breed and gives her incentive to do it again. :(

·
Noreaster
2,153 Posts
I guess the real question I would have is what's behind her pushing these poor pups out the door too early? Trying to get mama in heat again? Red flag. Too expensive to buy one more bag of kibble? Red flag...what other corners are being cut? Too many litters on the ground? Multiple red flags, because these pups aren't getting the hands on attention they need.

Maybe it's just ignorance, but she is breaking the law.

Regardless, I would run fast and far.

ETA: I would bet anything these dogs have no clearances for hips, elbows, eyes, or heart. Any one of those cropping up in your dog and you're looking at heartache and thousands of dollars to fix, if it's even something that can be fixed.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Totally agree with walking away from this pup. So far, you have only seen photos and videos and are not as invested as if you had seen and held the baby - you can still walk away. Besides, obviously, this is not a reputable breeder or they would not advertise on Craig's list and they would not let the babies go at 6 weeks - who knows if these photos are even of the pup you are suppose to get.

It is your decision but I personally would ask for the deposit back and keep looking. You can do so much better and if it is a question of money, put a little away each month till you have the money for a pup from a reputable breeder. GRF can lead you in the right direction with a reputable breeder search.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I received some very good advise many years ago while looking for a horse. "You ARE going to love whatever animal you end up getting, so for the sake of both of your happiness and health, find the best, most healthiest animal you can find, from the best breeder near you." So I know you now feel a little sorry for this pup, and feel that he will "need" you because his breeder is throwing him out the door at 6 weeks, but he may end up with terrible health problems later, not to mention that you have no idea of his temperament. I've recently met Goldens at my local Dog training school that HIDE behind their owner's legs, and have been told they "don't like" strangers, etc... It makes me sad to see a Golden without a smile and wagging tail for all, but that's what happens when temperament is not part of the breeding program, along with all the other potential health issues that can come up and break your heart and bank account. If everyone just stops supporting these greedy breeders, then they will stop.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
The poor puppy deserves a good home. It's highly doubtful that any deposit would be returned - and it seems that the OP has some clue as to what this situation will entail. I suggest we give support and hope that the puppy is okay.

(It does happen, you know)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I am just saying that it is against the law to sell a puppy in Florida under 8 weeks of age. If the breeder knows this, then she can keep the puppy until then or press charges to get money back.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The poor puppy deserves a good home. It's highly doubtful that any deposit would be returned - and it seems that the OP has some clue as to what this situation will entail. I suggest we give support and hope that the puppy is okay.

(It does happen, you know)
I agree. I'm sure this pup will be healthy if you follow Carmel's advice. Post number three in this thread.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,668 Posts
jkreps9, no disrespect to you, but it's very unfortunate that this person's ad was not flagged on Clist, Clist doesn't allow puppy sales on it's site.

If you should decide to take this pup, I would recommend that you tell this person that you will not pick up the pup until it's 8 weeks old because FL law prohibits pups going home before that age. You might want to either send her the link Kfayard posted or print the info out and give to this person.

I would also suggest you might want to think about getting Health Insurance for your pup as it might have health problems in years to come.

Your pup could be very healthy and live a long good life with you, but you should go into it with your eyes wide open and be aware of the potential health risks/problems you might face which could be very expensive in the long run.

I was very lucky with my first golden boy, he lived to be 15.5, very healthy without any health problems, he was not a well bred Golden. This was 20 years ago before I knew about Reputable Breeders. My two current Goldens are Rescues, so far they are very healthy and doing great, but I knew when I adopted them they could have health issues and I was fully aware of it and I am prepared to take care of any medical needs they might have.

I use to help with Intake for the GR Rescue I adopted my girl from. Quite often we had people contact us wanting to relinquish/surrender their Golden to the Rescue because their dog had major health issues such as Hip Dysplasia and they could not afford the necessary surgery and treatment. We took in 3-4 dogs one year from the same person who was breeding dogs that did not do clearances on their dogs and shouldn't have been breeding.

Best of luck in your decision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts