Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all! I have a 6 month old puppy who is bell trained and I feel like she hasn't learned to hold her bladder past 1-2 hours. She will often ring the bell and sit at the door almost every 1-2 hours and will pee a small amount EVERY time we take her outside. We don't want to dismiss her when she rings the bell, however, I don't want to teach her to only hold her pee for an hour at a time. We make sure she doesn't drink a crazy amount of water during the day and she has never had an accidents in her crate, even after 3-4 hours.
I took her to the vet yesterday to make sure she doesn't have a UTI and we sent off some urine for testing to double check. The vet suggested that it was more training/behavioral related if her urine comes back normal. She's been doing this from the time we got her at 2 months, which at the time, we knew she couldn't hold it for long periods of time. But now that she's older, we aren't sure how to train her to hold it longer without having accidents in the house. I would appreciate any tips and tricks on how to better potty train her! Thank you!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
She will often ring the bell and sit at the door almost every 1-2 hours and will pee a small amount EVERY time we take her outside. We don't want to dismiss her when she rings the bell, however, I don't want to teach her to only hold her pee for an hour at a time.
Any chance that this is a learned "I ring the bell and I get attention" behavior? When we were bell-training, our dog trainer emphasized that it was "ring the bell, put on the collar/leash, go outside and potty, come straight back in". If we wanted to incorporate some "outside time", the sequence was/is: outside, successful potty, back inside, then-go-back-outside. This was to keep the "need to go potty" from morphing into "I just want to go outside, but will potty to do so".

Our Kona was bell-trained, but we have discontinued the bell because she pretty much let's us know when she needs to go outside. Never-the-less, we still take her outside about once every two-to-three hours for a "potty break".

Add Note: Under the heading "goldens are smarter than they appear", Kona was getting treats for a successful "potty". The quotes are used because she started asking to go outside, would squeeze a drop-or-two out, and then expect a reward. Our response was to make the reward a "sometimes" vice "every time" thing, and then we removed the bell.

·
Premium Member
18,152 Posts
I would bet on a UTI, but you will know for sure after the test results. Also, female puppies may have a structural development that can cause this, so if your vet has not looked at her vulva they should.

Not being able to hold it for longer periods of time isn't normal and I would look for a medical reason before thinking it's behavioral.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Getting them to hold it for a while is exactly why most of us use the 'crate' to train this behavior. If your pup is in a confined crate. (Meaning he cannot do anything except stand up and turn around) We leave our pup in his crate unless he is on lead with one of us, in that way he starts moving around in his crate, when he needs to go! We then take him outside. Sometimes they learn to wine or bark when they want out...

Once he gets this crate training down 100%, then and only then will the pup have the run of the house for short periods..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts