Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Is this Shelby, the possible Golden mix? Oscar is 50lbs at almost 6 months... BUT then again, I believe girls are a bit smaller than boys, and she just might be a smaller girl. 30 pounds seems like it could be a healthy weight to me, as long as she has a small frame & is not super skinny.

Do you have a current picture? What does your vet think?

·
Registered
48 Posts
My golden is 6 mos and 30 lbs. She is perfectly healthy and you cannot see her ribs. Slower growth is better for their joints anyways. If you can easily feel but not see her ribs, then I think your girl is fine.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
She looks like she could be a mix to me... possibly mixed with a smaller breed than a Golden, which would easily explain her smaller size, as well as the fairly large white patch on her chest.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
I don't know much about other dog breeds LOL but we met a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever at our dog park that actually looks a lot like Shelby

Hope this link works for Google images:

http://images.google.com/images?q=nova scotia duck tolling retriever

I think I read somewhere on GRF that they are pretty rare, but then someone said there are puppy mills/BYBs cranking them out somewhere... so depending on Shelby's back story (sorry I don't remember!!!) maybe she could have some Toller in her?

WELL SHE'S CUTE FOR SURE :)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I have no idea how much a 6mth Golden girl should weigh but I can tell you that she is beautiful.

·
Registered
306 Posts
my girl is around 5 1/2 mo and is nearly 30 lbs. she eats 2 cups innova adult a day.

she is lanky but i don't think she's too thin. i can't see her ribs or anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My (almost) 4 month old is already pushing 33 lbs, but we knew from when she was just a little pup that she was going to be a big girl. Your pup looks very healthy and as long as the vet doesn't have any concerns then you shouldn't be too concerned. She is adorable, BTW.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Whatever Shelby has in her, you got a winner...she is cute as can be.

The more I look at her the more toller I see, but I can't rule out golden, or perhaps a mix. I have seen goldens with lighter patches of fur on the chest. I don't think I've ever seen a golden with light or white toes.

Here is a fairly good toller photo to compare her with:

Now, we have an 18 month old golden, Ruby who is registered and comes from a show line (she has been shown)...so she's all golden. But to me, her face varies quite a bit from what I expect a typical golden to look like. She has a small thin face. When I look at her and look at Shelby I do see some similarities.

Here are a couple photos of Ruby

As far as weight you are fine. Adult Toller females weigh 45-50 lbs. Golden females weigh 55-65 lbs.

Our younger golden Gracie weighed 32 lbs at 6 months. We fed her 1 cup of kibble per day until she was 7 or 8 months old . She's 12 months old now and weighs 51 lbs. She will probably finish right around 60 lbs. I would think that Shelby might finish up between 55 and 60 lbs.

Regardless of what she has in her, she is a beautiful girl and she's going to continue to get a lot prettier over the next 6 months.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My guy is 5 1/2 months and is just 30 pounds.
Does she look thin? Do you see the ribs? Hard to tell from the front view photo other than a cutie! Looks like all golden to me. Some Goldens have some white.
My girl just turned one and has been about 43-45 pounds, I did weigh her last week and she was up to about 47lbs but probably because it has been too cold to take as long of walks as usual.

·
Registered
277 Posts
at 6 months we were at about 34 lbs. 9 months last week and only 45 lbs. and he's a male. but he seems bigger than 45 lbs. it's mind numbing.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
My Bailey was 30 pounds at 6 months. She is finally now putting on some weight at 8 months. Give your pup some time to grow. :) My BIL's Goldens do not go over 45 pounds full grown, so there are a few goldens on the smaller side.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts