Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Amanda
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

My golden retriever puppy, Stanley will be 6 months old tomorrow. He has had straight diarrhea since 9 weeks old. We have transitioned him on various foods because the vet said it was probably a food allergy. We tried limited ingredient, gastrointestinal prescription food, Royal Canin this, Blue Buffalo that, etc. We never found that he had a true allergic reaction to any sort of food. The only thing that seemed to help his diarrhea was low fat foods. During the transition periods of food we always had him on metronidazole. We would give him the medicine for 10 day periods and then take him off. Every time we stopped the medicine, he would be off for 2 days and the diarrhea ALWAYS came back. He just had blood work done and we have eliminated pancreatitis and EPI. B12 levels were high, however, his folate level was just a tad bit higher than average so the vet diagnosed him with SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth), also known as antibiotic responsive diarrhea. We started Tylan powder this morning (instead of metronidazole). Vet said he should take this medicine twice a day for 6 straight weeks. He is also eating Annamaet grain free lean food. Fat content is VERY low (max 9%) and protein is high (min 30%). She said he might have to be on this medicine for the rest of his life if his diarrhea comes back after this 6 week period.

Long story short, does anyone else have a golden that was diagnosed with SIBO? Is your pup still on meds? Is there any supplement we can give him that will help with bacteria overgrowth? I really do not want to have to keep Stanley on medicine for the rest of his life.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hope someone can help you out here. Sorry to hear Stanly is having a hard time. Good luck! He is adorable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
My boy had similar problems when he was younger. He was never diagnosed with SIBO, though.

We did tylan powder for several months, slowly tapering the amount until he was off of it. (As per our vet's instructions.) It was probably, like, 5 months total. He ended up being just fine! He eats normal adult food now, and isn't on any medications. We have to be careful in terms of trying new treats, but he is doing really well. Part of the problem for him was the rich puppy food (like you, we tried a ton of different ones-- no allergies), which we replaced with a prescription bland diet from the vet. After finishing the tylan course we transitioned him a little bit early onto adult food per the vet's suggestion (~10-11 months), and had no problems.

A couple of other pups in his litter had similar problems (though no one was quite as bad as he was), and they all turned out to be fine! Some of his litter mates have never had loose poop in their lives. Don't panic yet. Goldens can have very sensitive tummies, especially when they're young!

·
Amanda
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying! I really hope Stanley grows out of it. Chronic diarrhea is awful!!

Your vet told you guys to keep your pup on tylan for 5 months? How much were you giving him daily?

·
Registered
66 Posts
There was a specific timeline we followed with certain dosages. I think it was 1/2 tsp for 8 weeks twice a day, 1/4 for 6 weeks twice a day, then maybe 1/4 tsp once a day, then 1/8. I can't remember the exact numbers-- it was over a year ago! :doh: Keep in mind the doses are weight based, and I'm just another parent on the internet! Always go with what your vet instructs you to do.

I do remember that we were getting ready to travel at the time, so our vet/medical director agreed to leave him on a low dose for a longer period of time. (He is a service dog in training, so he flew with us in the cabin over the holidays.) I'm not sure if we transitioned him to his new kibble before or after stopping the tylan, though. We went through a lot of metro, too, so it all kind of gets grouped together in my head.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Tanner has struggled with diarrhea for a long time. We've tried metro and changing foods. We have him on prescription food right now with 1.5 tbsp. of Metamucil and it seems to be helping. We are attempting to add back in his Merrick grain free food but yesterday it seemed slimier and softer so we've slowed down the switch again. We've been doing it for over 2 weeks I think.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Duke has been on tylan powder since he was a puppy (~6 months). He has had chronic issues and we've tried multiple foods, etc. After weighing pros & cons, we've followed our vets advice and have kept him on the tylan powder. He does noticeably better on it and the potential side effects are minimal according to his vet. We've also added a probiotic, pumpkin and metamucil to his diet. He has relatively firm stools for the majority of the time with occasional diarrhea flares. He was never diagnosed with SIBO though. Many of the symptoms you've described sound familiar to me though.

·
Amanda
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AngelCoopersMom,

I SWEAR you guys got Tanner from the same breeder we got Stanley from. I have attached pictures of Stan. He has very wavy hair and light golden color.

I saw your previous posts about your issues with his health and how the breeder gave you Tanner early. (Same with Stan!)

If you are available to talk, I would love to talk with you!!

Tanner has struggled with diarrhea for a long time. We've tried metro and changing foods. We have him on prescription food right now with 1.5 tbsp. of Metamucil and it seems to be helping. We are attempting to add back in his Merrick grain free food but yesterday it seemed slimier and softer so we've slowed down the switch again. We've been doing it for over 2 weeks I think.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts