Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Amanda
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

My golden retriever puppy, Stanley will be 6 months old tomorrow. He has had straight diarrhea since 9 weeks old. We have transitioned him on various foods because the vet said it was probably a food allergy. We tried limited ingredient, gastrointestinal prescription food, Royal Canin this, Blue Buffalo that, etc. We never found that he had a true allergic reaction to any sort of food. The only thing that seemed to help his diarrhea was low fat foods. During the transition periods of food we always had him on metronidazole. We would give him the medicine for 10 day periods and then take him off. Every time we stopped the medicine, he would be off for 2 days and the diarrhea ALWAYS came back. He just had blood work done and we have eliminated pancreatitis and EPI. B12 levels were high, however, his folate level was just a tad bit higher than average so the vet diagnosed him with SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth), also known as antibiotic responsive diarrhea. We started Tylan powder this morning (instead of metronidazole). Vet said he should take this medicine twice a day for 6 straight weeks. He is also eating Annamaet grain free lean food. Fat content is VERY low (max 9%) and protein is high (min 30%). She said he might have to be on this medicine for the rest of his life if his diarrhea comes back after this 6 week period.

Long story short, does anyone else have a golden that was diagnosed with SIBO? Is your pup still on meds? Is there any supplement we can give him that will help with bacteria overgrowth? I really do not want to have to keep Stanley on medicine for the rest of his life.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there,

Is your dog still experiencing SIBO? Still on medication?

My 1 year old golden is having blood work done tomorrow to test for this and low b12 levels. His symptoms are very similar to your dog's and like you we've tried a bunch of foods and had him on metronidozale too.

Weird to me that my golden is uninterested in his food all the time :( he would be happy to have anything other than kibble though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just curious if he was ever tested for giardia, as one of our dogs (the puppy) has that and the symptoms sound very similar, our pup is also on metronidazole, the vet just put him on panacur last week!!

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Has he been tested for parasites? Your vet should be having you gather three consecutive poop samples (there is a little bottle they give you) and testing for things like giardia or coccidia. They're really hard to get positives on - many vets start to treat for whichever one is more prevelent in the area. They are notoriously hard to get under control. As you are treating, you might want to try a prescription food (has your vet recommended this?) - a good one is Purina EN Gastroenteric. It is very bland, easy to digest, allows their inflamed little colons to settle down. If you vet hasn't done fecals, or suggested treating for parasites, or suggested a vet food... you might want to find a new vet..

Reactions: tikiandme
1 - 4 of 4 Posts