Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn
My male just turned 6 months today and he is doing great! He is on just over 3.5 cups of PPP large puppy chicken & rice. He loves it and has been on it for a few
months now. Should I keep him at the current amount of food I am currently feeding or increase/decrease the amount of food? (He was smaller in the litter) He is 39.6 pounds currently. I’ll attach some of his most recent weigh ins and some pictures of him! I love him so much!! He’s so cute. Thank you.

July 4: 24.4 pounds
July 6: 25 pounds
July 10: 25.8 pounds
July 12: 26.2 pounds
July 13: 26.4 pounds
July 19: 27.8 pounds
July 21: 28.2 pounds
July 26: 28.8 pounds
July 29: 30 pounds
August 2: 31.4 pounds
August 8: 31.6 pounds
August 10: 32 pounds
August 14: 32.8 pounds
August 16: 34 pounds
August 19: 34 pounds
August 22: 34.6 pounds
August 23: 35.2 pounds
August 24: 36.2 pounds
August 28: 37 pounds
September 1: 37.4 pounds
Sept 4: 37.6 pounds
Sept 5: 39.2 pounds
Sept 6: 39.2 pounds
Sept 9: 39.6 pounds
Dog Dog supply Working animal Comfort Carnivore

·
Registered
56 Posts
You should judge the amount of food based on how he looks and how his ribs feel rather than scheduling a quantity based on his age. You can adjust the amount of food daily/weekly/as often as needed to keep him at a weight that looks/feels good. Every puppy will be a little different. He looks a little thin in the first photo but photos aren’t really a good indicator. Eventually he’ll need less food, but you’ll know that if he starts to get a little plump on the same amount.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My puppy (also a male) turns 6 months on September 22nd, definitely interesting to see the differences between mine and yours especially with them being so close in age (I’ll add a few pics of Moose at the end)! Just wanted to clarify, are you giving your boy 3.5 cups total for the day, or 3.5 cups per meal? I feed my lil guy PPP Puppy Lamb & Rice formula (there's a golden puppy on the package) which I just now realized isn’t large puppy… I'm hoping that doesn't matter much and can only assume that's okay, considering it has a picture of a golden retriever puppy on the packaging lol🙈 I had been following the serving size to a T until around a month ago when I started giving him an even 2 cups for each meal, he eats twice a day.

I just weighed Moose and he’s 43.2 pounds, but I will say your handsome lil boy still looks like he’s bigger than mine for some reason. You got very cute puppers, what's his name? They are definitely a handful but sooooo worth it!

Dog Sports equipment Dog breed Ball Carnivore Dog Couch Furniture Comfort Carnivore Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Wood stain Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Liver

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My puppy (also a male) turns 6 months on September 22nd, definitely interesting to see the differences between mine and yours especially with them being so close in age (I’ll add a few pics of Moose at the end)! Just wanted to clarify, are you giving your boy 3.5 cups total for the day, or 3.5 cups per meal? I feed my lil guy PPP Puppy Lamb & Rice formula (there's a golden puppy on the package) which I just now realized isn’t large puppy… I'm hoping that doesn't matter much and can only assume that's okay, considering it has a picture of a golden retriever puppy on the packaging lol🙈 I had been following the serving size to a T until around a month ago when I started giving him an even 2 cups for each meal, he eats twice a day.

I just weighed Moose and he’s 43.2 pounds, but I will say your handsome lil boy still looks like he’s bigger than mine for some reason. You got very cute puppers, what's his name? They are definitely a handful but sooooo worth it!

View attachment 885586 View attachment 885587 View attachment 885585 View attachment 885588
What a cutie !!! He is on 3.5 cups total food split between 3 meals! Roughly 1.25 cups for meal 1, 1 cup for meal 2 and 1.25 cup for meal 3! Moose is cute as well!! My little guys name is Chip! I will weigh him again tomorrow and see where he is at. I’ll also have to upload some more pictures because why not! They are definitely a handful. The one thing I am struggling with is Chip jumping on other people when he sees someone new. He gets SUPER excited and can’t seem to control it and jumps on them. I have to tell him off and pull him off. He will jump on me in the morning when I let him out of the crate but I push him off and tell him off right away. He is jumping on me way less I can tell but **** I really wish he would learn! Does your little guy jump on others when he sees someone ?!

·
Registered
24 Posts
What a cutie !!! He is on 3.5 cups total food split between 3 meals! Roughly 1.25 cups for meal 1, 1 cup for meal 2 and 1.25 cup for meal 3! Moose is cute as well!! My little guys name is Chip! I will weigh him again tomorrow and see where he is at. I’ll also have to upload some more pictures because why not! They are definitely a handful. The one thing I am struggling with is Chip jumping on other people when he sees someone new. He gets SUPER excited and can’t seem to control it and jumps on them. I have to tell him off and pull him off. He will jump on me in the morning when I let him out of the crate but I push him off and tell him off right away. He is jumping on me way less I can tell but **** I really wish he would learn! Does your little guy jump on others when he sees someone ?!
Haha yes I know the feeling of drowning in so many pictures / videos of our pups. And yeah Moose does jump on other people, doesn't jump on me though other than the seldom occasions when he's been playing hard and his stimulation gauge is maxing out. I'd say it's about 30-40% of people he will jump on too, it depends on a few different variables. Like if he's in a playful mood and is easily excited then that's when he will usually jump on people when he first sees them. Or occasionally even though he's relaxed/sleepy he'll detect a person's scent or hormones or something that gets his engines roaring making him quite frisky.... this usually ends in an irresistible urge to hump their leg every chance he gets (but sometimes he'll just want to jump up on them so he can get as close to eye-level with them as he can idk it's weird.

One thing I've found that works the best is preventing him from getting the chance to ever jumping on the person in the first place. I'll have him sit in place, or hold him in place when he has selective hearing and won't listen and wait 30-60 seconds before letting him go greet the person and 99% of the time he will have chilled out and not act bonkers and have no desire to jump on the person. I'm not able to do that every single time when every single customer walks into my shop unfortunately so there's still some he manages to jump on, almost everyone ends up telling me not to worry about it and that he's fine when I am walking over to make him stop and pull him away, they get he's a puppy and the fact they are so **** cute at this age it's hard to imagine anyone being turned off by a cute fluffball bombarding them with love and kisses lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts