Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a 6, closer to 7 month old pup named Kopi (Kopitar). We are currently having some issues with biting, mouthing, and barking. Help!

BITING/MOUTHING - Kopi has the horrible habit of biting at hands! My hands, my boyfriends hands, kids hands, new hands, old hands, ANY SET OF HANDS! It's not a ferocious bite, it's his idea of a "playful" bite, I suppose? But it's definitely not acceptable, as he has all of his adult teeth now. We thought once he lost all of his baby teeth the problem might fade away, but no cigar! Since we got him at 10 weeks old, he has been the feistiest little fella I have ever come across! You couldn't and sometimes still cant, pet him unless he is asleep or too tired to care! We tried bitter spray...he licked it off of our hands. We tried the water bottle technique...he thought it was a fun game, being that he loves the water. SIDE NOTE: He also loves lemons and oranges, he will actually pull them off of the tree, bring them to his bed, rub on them with his back to break them open, and eat them... We have told him "no" in a calm voice...didn't work. We have told him "NO" in a louder/more stern voice and have even yelped, none of which worked, he would just bite more. Tried to put a toy in his mouth...he is disinterested. Even if we put our hands behind our backs, say if we are on the couch, he will jump on the couch and look for them. It's a never ending battle!!! I am open to all suggestions!

Next up...

BARKING - Kopi has gotten into the horrible habit of barking his furry little tail off! Mostly if we are watching tv on the couch...he will just stand there and bark at us until our ears bleed. We usually try to ignore him, but he is relentless, absolutely relentless! If it gets to the point where we cant take anymore, we will put him in "time out" in the bathroom for a few minutes until he calms down. He will give it a rest for a bit, then he's back at it again...

Another barking issue is around other dogs! Kopi loves his canine companions that he meets, like a typical golden should, but I am not too sure many dogs that he has met, feel the same way about him. Right when we introduce him to a dog, at first, he does great, does the sniff, sniff, hello thing. But shortly after that its run around like a mad man and bark, bark, bark, bark...bark, bark, bark...and he does not stop!! He is literally screaming for attention. He will not obey any of our commands...he goes into a whole other world of doggie fascination and puts all of his focus and energy into barking at the dog if it doesn't play with him the way he wants. He has been around other dogs since we got him, and he has for the most part, always done this. It's quite embarrassing! PLEASE HELP!

Thank you everyone, in advance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like he doesn't view you as "the master" but more of a playmate. How does he walk on a leash? Does he walk out in front of you? Or alongside of you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is great on the leash! He obeys his heel command wonderfully and walks right beside me. He's actually really good with all of his commands when he's not in crazy mode. Sit, down, shake, roll over, and he will hold treats on his nose and paws, like a champ! It's only when he's extremely over stimulated that he will not listen...

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
ahh teenagers!
On the good side
- you need a biter to teach soft mouth; while some trainers say no mouth I believe that soft mouth is more important, so when you or the kid steps inadvertently on his tail he will know to use a soft mouth and not break skin;
- you need a barker to teach quiet/go to place/bed (not to sleep, just a place to rest.

The rest is exercise and exercise and exercise - a tired baby is a good baby!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts