Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 6 month golden male. We have been going to the dog park basically every day since he was fully vaccinated (4.5 months). We go for about an hour. Usually he wrestles around with the young dogs that feel like playing with him. Or he chases other dogs. This past week he really got the hang of fetch. I use a chucker stick and he fetches off and on for about an hour.

I'm reading on here about too much exercise too soon... I read one site that said to limit dog park time to 20 minutes. I feel like at 20 minutes he wouldn't be ready to go home. I work from home so I like for him to be pretty tired during the day while I work.

So am I injuring his growth plates? I don't want to cause damage. But I also know that a "tired puppy" is a happy one... Not to mention keeps me sane and able to train him much easier.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I think your fine. You just don't want to jog with your dog. At the dog park he is going at his own pace and I am guessing it is grass.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only part that I would worry about is the wrestling. Gentle play is fine but if it is the wild kingdom full run, flop, slam that my two used to engage in that could hurt his growth plates that young. So make sure it is soft wrestling and you are fine.

·
Lisa
675 Posts
My dog's cousin goes to the dog park daily for an hour, and he is seven months. He sits for a minute if he gets tired. I would think you're fine. :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I think that is too long to fetch with a chuck it...one thing if he runs around on his own and lays down as needed...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts