Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy (bear) who is 6 months old is not eating all his food at once, like he did a few weeks ago. I recently moved and I'm wondering if the move is affecting him?

I talked with his vet and all his vitals, etc. are good & they're not sure what is going on. They recommended doing X-Rays (to see if he has something in his stomach that's not supposed to be there), or doing blood work to see if there's something we are missing altogether.

He has the same energy & love for life/people/other dogs that he has always had. It's just weird to see him not be that interested in his food anymore. Is this something that comes with age and he just doesn't have the same drive for his food (eating it all at once) or the stress from the move? Curious for anybody's thoughts or if anybody has had an experience like this?

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,382 Posts
How much food are you feeding him per day?
Are you giving him any treats daily, if so what, how much and how often?

It wouldn't hurt to do what the Vet suggested-xrays and blood work to make sure everything is OK with him if his appetite doesn't return.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 9 month old is a grazer (learned from the cat) and had been for sometime. As they get older they need less food and some can self regulate better than others. We were concerned too, but his weight is healthy and he’s happy otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His food recommends 6 cups a day so I divide that between morning/evening. Xray & blood tests came back great, so I'm not really sure at this point what the cause could be. He really is not a fan of eating at my new house.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't give him many training treats throughout the day, and have not done any aerobic exercise

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Good Lord, that's 2-3 times what he needs now that the huge growth spurts are over!! No wonder he's not very hungry.
Cut him back to 1 cup, 2x a day. If he starts losing weight, gradually increase it.
Most adult males eat 2-3 cups a day total.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's not an adult. He's 6 months old. The food he is eating is not specific to just puppy's, which is why the feeding amounts are larger since the nutrients are not the same as what's in a puppy food. He is losing weight as it is, which is pretty concerning for a growing puppy. Thanks!

·
Kristy
9,163 Posts
At 6 months of age your puppy starts to slow down his rate of growth. Slow growth over the course of his first year is best for him. The fact is that 6 cups of food per day is too much for him unless he is in hard field training or you are feeding him rice krispies.

How much weight has he lost? What is his weight currently? What have the results of his blood work been? It's been a few weeks since you posted originally but you didn't give us an update?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I agree with nolefan and hotel4dogs on how much you're feeding. Likewise, momoffinn mentions that her dog is a grazer, which our Brody is as well. Brody is at 5 mo. and we feed him twice per day at 2 cups per feeding for a total of 4 cups per day. He gained 10 lbs from 4 mo. to 5 mo. and he is still what I feel is on the lean side. From the day we brought him home, Brody would eat a little and then come back within 15-20 minutes and finish his food.

Even our last Golden, River, weighed in at 92 lbs, but you can see from his past photo that he was still on the lean side as well. He ate 2 cups per feeding twice per day during his adult years.

I would cut back on how much you're feeding Bear to see if this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got to say I concur with the others that it is a lot of food, at about 6.5 months my Ollie started not eating near what he had as a puppy, now he is also on the smaller side as now at 10 months is maybe 56 lbs but is barely eating 2 cups of kibble a day (Taste of The Wild) along with a dental chew or bully stick and 10-12 training treats. Now my foster puppy, Bear is 17 weeks and would eat his food, Ollies food, my food, and a bag of treats and still be hungry but he only gets 3 cups of TOTW puppy along with a few treats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all the feedback and insight into his feeding. I'm just following the feeding instructions on his food, which is not "puppy" specific so the nutrients are less — so please understand that. Bear is extremely lean and fluctuates in weight — he only eats when he wants to. Blood work came back fine. Just going to let things be unless he really won't eat over a long period of time or starts to lose a lot of weight.

Thanks for all your responses.

·
RobinM
92 Posts
My Dax is 23 months and eats when he's hungry. I like that. I fill his bowl when it's empty and he eats when he wants to, somewhere around 5-6 cups per day, of Purina Pro Plan Sport. He was started on that from his breeder and has been on it ever since. He is lean and very muscular and in great health, full of energy and enthusiasm. His weight is between 50-55 pounds.

If your pup is healthy and happy with the eating plan, it might be the best for him. My only advice would be to check whether it is a recommended brand for canine DCM, which is a great concern for Goldens fed designer foods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts