·
Registered
17,800 Posts
That's absolutely wonderful, well done!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Early congratulations for your 1 year mark!

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
Congratulations to anyone who quits smoking! I am always happy to hear it when people are able to finally give it up. It's the hardest thing in the world to quit. I also smoked but gave it up many years ago. So good for you for quitting. I hope you were able to substitute the smoking habit for something more positive!

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
I think that's the hardest part, changing your behavior and replacing smoking with something else. I replaced with my bike. I started biking to work. It was great to do something else. Instead of sitting in traffic smoking, I rode my bike to work. Kind of hard to smoke and bike at the same time. I hope you are enjoying running, and I bet your dogs enjoy it too!

Reactions: Jennifer1

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Congratulations! You are so smart to pick a memorable date to quit. I am coming up on 7 years but I can't tell you what the exact date is - I know it was somewhere close to when my friend had surgery because we quit together before we was admitted to the hospital - but no clue when exactly that was!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm on a running hiatus, nasty case of plantar fasciitis, but yes I picked running because I thought I would make myself suffer enough to not want to smoke!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Congratulations on your 5 years smoke-free anniversary. Well done!!!

Reactions: Jennifer1

·
where the tails wag
13,369 Posts
Congratulations!! ]

My quit date was 8-5-8. the only reason I remember the date is I was in an online quit smoking group and I was a member of what 1 girl dubbed the 8-5-8 club :)

·
3 goldens
11,882 Posts
Every right to be proud. I qute 15 1/2 yars ago, last cigarette June 30, 1999, Had smoked 28 years and was doing 2 packs a day of Misty 120 menthols. Finaihed that pack off that afternoon and never picked up another one. Hubby couldn't quite because he had "smoked 3 years longer than me so would harder for him". However, after his heart attack Feb. 7, 2013, he has not smoked. Our older son quite 5 years ago following flu. His wife will has "quit" by constantly smoking one of those fake cigarettes with the most nicotine she can get----but that isn't smoking. LOL

again congrats, All who hae quit know you did a hard thing, but a great thing.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Congrats! I quit in February 2007. I was supposed to do it for my 40th birthday, in December 2006, but couldn't bring myself to do it, so I aimed for NYE 2006, still couldn't do it, even though I was ready and really wanted to. So, after a trip to Michigan in early February 2007 for my father's 80th birthday and having to go outside in blizzard conditions to smoke, I decided to quit with my sister right after we got back. We both used Chantix. I succeeded, she didn't that time, but about 2 years ago she finally quit after 30+ years of smoking 2+ packs a day (I was a much lighter smoker, less than a pack a day, which is why I think it was easier for me).

Last night I had my last alcoholic drink. I have been battle my weight and slowly gaining over the last 2 1/2 years and I know it's because I like a few cocktails in the evening and those are just empty calories. I am really excited about not drinking any more. I figured if I could quit smoking, quitting drinking won't be nearly as difficult!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts