Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My 5month old golden, Diesel, has decided that 4 am is his time to wake up. Originally when he was younger, we let him out to go potty once when he barked at night, but soon learned that he didn't actually need to go. Now we just ignore him but he barks constantly from 4:00 until we get up at 5:30 am. We have tried putting him to bed later, feeding him more, putting a toy in his pen with him, exercising him right before bed, etc. but he still wakes up at 4 on the dot barking like crazy.
Is this one of those weird puppy phases that will pass on its own? Has anyone else experienced this lovely morning alarm? We have him set up in a very small pen with his kennel inside and open so that he can sleep in it or lay on the floor.

Thanks!
p.s. i've read too many posts about the horrors of the future teenage rebellion phase and I am already worried. I'm really hoping it won't be as bad as it seems. ?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I think it is a phase that will pass. Rukie used to get up early but not anymore. One thing someone suggested was don't give breakfast right away when they get up so that won't be the reason for getting you up. If it was me I would just keep ignoring him. Maybe try ear plugs.

Reactions: Miranda Gallegos

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I would never ignore the puppy asking to go out, after all you are trying to teach the puppy to alert you.. you are sending mixed signals if you don't respond.
More food means they will need more time to poop so not sure about the logic here. I feed what they need regardless of their morning schedule.
By 5 months we are on 2 meals a day & feed my pups at 4 pm to make sure we have plenty of time to exercise and get everything cleaned out before bedtime.
By 8pm my pups are pooped out and usually asleep but I also do a last potty break around 10 but always take my pups out on a leash until they are old enough to poop/pee on command... I want them to learn we are going out to do a job, not play. By this age they should be sleeping through the night but it's also about the time they have so much more energy .. they are going from puppy to adolescents so be sure your pup is getting enough exercise with you and training. Just putting them out alone doesn't help much.
BUT my pups were always up at 5am. My pup is now 17 months and we still get up at 6am. But mainly because it's still dark. They go out, then eat by 6:30 we are out for a walk. I get a cup of coffee :) then we do training. My girls are worn out by 10am until after lunch time. But I'm retired so schedule is pretty flexible.
Everyone will have a different schedule as everyone has a different life. You might wonder when the breeder used to get them up? When I worked we started at 4am... just a thought.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Honey grew up with a 4:15 am alarm for 8 years. Many mornings she wakes up DH by 4:30 even after more than a year with no alarms.
I sometimes hear a train whistle off in the distance and wonder if that signals her to 'rise and shine'!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think at that age puppy is really housebroken yet. I agree with Puddles. Some dogs will sleep through the night at an early age and others will not. I always keep a bit of fresh water in the crate at all times. This becomes something "normal" and they don't play with it but might have a few sips if they are thirsty. If pup wakes up and barks in the middle of the night, I get up right away, take it outside to potty, then put it right back in the crate. I do this quietly and calmly so as not to get pup excited. As soon as I get a new pup, I start potty training right away, taking pup outside about every 1/2 hour. I tell pup "go potty!" When pup goes I give praise and a treat right away. They learn pretty fast. This is during the daytime, of course. Good luck. It will get better with time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts