Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our golden is a good, smart dog. Almost too smart! Champp is well trained but has a stuborn streak in him. He stays in a pen while we are gone and at nights. It's covered, concrete, lots of room and a warm, cozy house. He loves his pen. After being out, all we have to do is say "Pen" and he takes his toy and goes into the pen. All of a sudden, he doesn't want to (even though he knows the command). Champ will run up on the deck, and sit not wanting to go in. Finally, after we have to go on the deck, tug on the collar and say pen again will he go straight to his pen and sit waiting for you. This has gone on for a few weeks. Now, he will run up on the deck and pee on the deck! What's up with this - how do we get him back to his normal routine.

Like I said, he is a good dog but really stuborn! We had a hard time training him when he was a puppy but once he got it - he did fine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Sounds like something may have happened in the pen when you were not around. I know my dearly departed senior dog all of the sudden one day became thunder phobic. Things happen we are not with them all the time.

Try treats. Perhaps feed him meals in the pen, associate it with good things not being left. Give him some time to re adjust. Don't 'force' him, that will make it worse. Do what you can to make it a positive experience.

Ann

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks, I don't think that is it.....he eats, sleeps, etc in his pen. He actually looks at you like "ha ha, I am not listening to you and going to sit on the deck because I want to". I swear if he could talk that is what you would hear! He is fine in the pen - just acts up when we want him to go until we really show him we mean business and then he happily goes with tail waggin.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I agree with Ann. Take it slow and make it fun again. Lots of reward. The peeing could be fear based. There are many things that could have happened while you were out that could have freaked him out. (Collar caught in fencing, loud noise, etc. ) Good luck to you.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I agree with the other posters. I think something scared him while he was in his pen and now he is afraid to go in. Like Oakley's Dad said, the peeing could very well be submissive peeing because he knows you are unhappy with him.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Is he reluctant both at night and during the day ?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree that something must have happened to cause the peeing--sign of fear. I don't leave my dogs outside when I'm not home because I worked with a woman whose basset was stolen from a locked pen. With all of the press about dog fighting, I would be scared all day that someone would steal my dogs. If it wasn't for the peeing, I would say that he was playing you. Sully went through a stage last summer that she would play hard to get instead of going to her crate. Take it slow and easy and make it fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts