Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I was having one of the worst days of my life, as we were at the ER Vet learning that my beloved Sam was dying.
We were able to bring Sam home for our final weekend together and family members came to the house to sit with Sam one last time and to say Goodbye. He loved the attention. I think he knew...and he was very much at peace. My niece Katie who was 8 at the time, sat with Sam's head in her lap and told us, "My head told me to stay home, but my heart told me to come." Her mother and I glanced at each other and it was all we could do to not cry.

Sam had a peaceful weekend and on Monday morning, Jan 8, 2007 we released him from his weak and failing body to the lush fields of Rainbow Bridge. He loved resting on thick grass. We have one spot of grass out front that is always a little thicker than the rest of the yard, and that was Sam's spot...it will always be Sam's spot.

It wasn't until joining the forum that I learned of Heart Dogs. I always thought of Sam as my canine soulmate, but Heart Dog is more fitting, as he has a piece of my heart with him at the Bridge.

Miss You Sam...
Love,
MOM

On that same day, January 6, 2007,
(Maybe it's a coincidence...but I prefer to think it was a part of the plan)... not too many miles from where we were, a litter of 10 Golden pups was being born...
Hello, IKE! So, Happy 5th Birthday to my eternally joyous nutter pups! You fill a huge void every single day, and you fill it with love, laughter, sighs, rolling eyes, more laughter, lots of kisses, paw tapping, and roos...lots and lots of roos. (I swear he speaks...if I just spoke dog!)

Thank You Ike for filling my life with Golden joy again and making our family complete. I love you Nutter Pups! Thank You for making the anniversary of Sam's passing a little less painful by knowing that you were coming into the world to sit by my side and show me a whole different perspective of looking at life...Ike Style!:)

Twice I've been blessed...

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Hugs to you on this day... Run free, Sam! You are truly missed!

Have a great birthday, Ike!

Reactions: paula bedard

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I would say was part of a great plan and what a lovely part indeed.

Sam would certainly have wanted you to welcome another love into your life.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Its sad but so lovely to have them home and have time to say goodbye and like you i had never heard of a heart dog till this forum my Sadie was my true heart dog now Sam and Sadie and my Meg of course will be having a good time at the bridge,
(hugs Paula)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sending you lots of hugs on this sad anniversary. I know how you feel. I lost my Lucy 1 year ago yestetday.

Run free Sam xxx

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Sam

Paula: It is so beautiful what your wrote about your Sam.

Rest in peace, sweet Sam.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think that Sam had a big part of Ike coming to be with you. My heart goes out to you on this anniversary.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You guys. Though Sam passed on the 8th, it's the 6th that makes me weepy, as it's the day the sad news hit us...and not at all what we were expecting.

I'm a big believer in meant to be too, and I know Ike is where he's meant to be. I've been waiting for a sign from Sam...maybe looking so hard for one that I missed the obvious one, Ike. He's probably laughing at my powers of observation...

Thanks again for the kinds words. I know he's at the Bridge enjoying the thick lush grass there and hanging out with all the Bridge pups from the Forum.

I figure I'm 5 years closer to seeing him again.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
I'll be thinking of you and Sam on Sunday...Happy Birthday to Ike and thank you for helping your mom everyday.....Hugs!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
OMG--I have tears in my eyes! Your Sam crosses the Bridge on the same day your Ike is born. Wow, just wow! Many of us talk about God Winks. This is one big old HUGE one.

Happy Birthday Ike--you have some big paws to fill.

Cyber hugs to you as you remember Sam and his passing.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG--I have tears in my eyes! Your Sam crosses the Bridge on the same day your Ike is born. Wow, just wow! Many of us talk about God Winks. This is one big old HUGE one.

Happy Birthday Ike--you have some big paws to fill.

Cyber hugs to you as you remember Sam and his passing.
Thanks...
Though Sam passed on the 8th. We were at the ER Vet getting the devastating news on the 6th, which is when Ike's litter was born.

After Sam passed, we decided it was time to look for a puppy. I had placed a deposit on a litter of pups to be born in late February but that litter did not have a male for me. The Breeder recommended a litter that had been born in January and directed me there. Well, when I saw the litter was born on Jan 6th, the sire's name was Samson, and that the sire's birthday was my birthday (April 11)...I was stunned, to say the least. I did a little more digging and found that my Sam has a dog in his pedigree that is also in Ike's pedigree. So yeah, lots of God Winks.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The birthday boy will spend today at the groomer's getting spiffy and have his choice of treats from his favorite aisle in the pet shop.

Can't believe it's been 5 years...and then again it feels like yesterday.

Here are a few pics

1. Sam on the day we brought him home.
2. Sam a few months before he passed
3. Ike soon after we brought him home
4. Ike at our lake this past Autumn

Attachments

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,074 Posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY IKE!!!!! Have a wonderful day!!

The picture of Ike at the lake is gorgeous.......

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Smiling at Ike thru my tears for you and Sam.

I know what you mean about dates. My darling Rocket passed on Nov 10, 2000 the most horrible day in my life. Our darling granddaughter was born Nov 10, 2004. Now instead of thinking of that day in mourning, I can think of it with rejoicing!

(((hugs))))) to you! :smooch:

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
Oh, that photo of older Sam ... it's like he's staring into your soul.

What a wonderful example of the circle of life... from Sam to Ike.

I, too, had never heard the expression "Heart Dog" til I joined here two years ago. I have always said, "Tesia is my heart." Suddenly, I realized that other people experienced this very special connection to certain dogs, too.

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
It sounds like Ike is your silver lining. Sorry that there is sadness mixed in on this happy day. :(

Happy birthday to Ike<:

(Jacks was born 4 years ago today)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts