Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ! Not sure if any of your members are able to help ? But thought i would give it a go. I have a golden retriever, ( Ive had newfs in past ) he is 5 years old.
Ive had him at vets 2 times within the last 2 weeks. he started with a red eye ( not pink eye) but around his eye it was sort of red & swollen a little like dermatitis. Vet gave me antibiotics and oral predisone ( now finished ) Took him ...back today saw same vet, who took a skin scraping from around the eye, who informed me he had demotex mites in scraping. says all dogs have them and only becomes a problem when they are immuno suppressed. so has taken blood to check on possibility of cushings disease. also checked if any other parasites in blood came back neg. he routinely takes his heartguard. i have been given oral ivomec to use. Vet will let me know blood results tomorrow. Not happy really in what the vet is prescribing & was wondering if anybody knew of any other home remedies or alternatives to Ivomec. From what ive read on net, this mite causes mange and is very hard to treat, im wondering if there are any other home type remedies i can try. Any help from members on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanking every1 in advance

·
Premium Member
18,481 Posts
Welcome to the board. I'm sorry your boy is having trouble. Mange must be treated with prescription medication, there are no home remedies that will resolve this problem. There is topical salve, Goodwinol Ointment, which can be used on very localized spots. For more advanced infections, or systemic infections oral ivermectin is the effective treatment.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Demodex is a mange, its not contagious to you or other animals. The ivomec is the best treatment and you can use a lime dip however with it being around the eye that is not an option. It may take a while for it to clear up. Yes it could be from an underlying immune issue especially being an older animal, most of the times we see in it my puppies because their immune system is not fully developed. I hope your vet told you NOT to give your monthly heartworm meds as that will be like giving a double dose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts