Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
which diet is best for pups that are already weaned off mom's milk? Puppy canned food, regular human food (milk mixed with biscuits, etc.), or dry puppy food? I've been reading mixed reviews for all of them and can't really decide, so far we've been giving them milk mixed with soft foods and so on.

zoe

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Hi Zoe,

you should try a dry diet. It doesn't have such a high fat content as canned food.
From our experience, some puppies simply can't tolerate canned food and they get very nasty diarrhea.
Well you will have to try different kinds to see what your puppy likes the most and to which diet it reacts the best.
Some people start to feed BARF right from the start. You might think about it too. Although we rarely feed it to our golden, I heard that dogs are healthier on raw diet.

Joe

·
Registered
414 Posts
Most breeders I've talked to will feed their pups a high grade Large Breed Puppy kibble. Not anything you buy in a grocery Store.

RAW diet, or BARF is controversial, but I believe if done right and researched, can be a healthy way to feed your dog. MAny will disagree though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Timberwolfe, Admin,

I've read about a guy who used to raise and train champion field trial hunting dogs, and they ate nothing but the old Purina.

The bottom line:
Some dog foods are better than others, so try to feed your dog the best stuff you can get your hands on, because it really makes a difference.
Don't worry to spend some cash and get the food where lamb or fish is the main ingredients.

As you mentioned earlier, lot of people are all excited about feeding their dogs raw food and I think it's an intriguing idea...

Pepe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys,
which diet is best for pups that are already weaned off mom's milk? Puppy canned food, regular human food (milk mixed with biscuits, etc.), or dry puppy food? I've been reading mixed reviews for all of them and can't really decide, so far we've been giving them milk mixed with soft foods and so on.

zoe
Purina Pro Puppy Food. You may need to go to Tractor supply or Pet Store. I don't think Petco carries it. Great for Coat.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've seen this BARF a few times recently on the fourm- what is it?
I know BARF stands for 'Bones And Raw Food' diet. But that is all I know!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
It is the raw, natural diet... my dogs thrive on it when I feed it. I go in phases of feeding all raw, some raw, etc. Chicken leg quarters, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts