Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dexter is 9 months old, and as concerned and new puppy parents I have a few questions....

1. About 3 weeks ago my girlfriend and I both noticed a small black spot, a little bit bigger than the diameter of a pen cap, near the midway point of his tongue. we both independently noticed it around the same time, which leads us to believe it was not there before. What is this and is it a sign of something harmful?

2. Since it has been getting colder and our house is at a cooler constant temperature, Dexter has been waking up with increasingly worse eye boogers. He shows no sign of any eye irritation, and they are not preventing him from opening his eyes (just in the corner like normal eye boogers). Is there a relationship between cool temps and eye boogers, and is this a sign of something harmful?

3. Now that it has snowed Dexter is amazingly interested in chomping on ice. We give him an ice cube every now and then to chew, but every time we go outside now he finds a chunks of ice to chew. Is this harmful in the long run for his teeth?

4. I've been reading about "mushers secret" and am wondering if this is a good product to apply to dexters paws whenever we take him out in the snow, or only when we take him on walks where we will encounter road salt?

5. After Dexter has been running and playing hard for a while, like at the dog park, he starts to run slightly sideways and sometimes walks with a slight limp. Whatever is hurting him does not keep him from playing, but I was wondering if the slight side canter and limp is normal for puppies who just played hard? He is 9 months old and a right around 70 pounds, so I was thinking that it might be joint pain and will get better as his growth plates further fuse with age. Some thoughts?

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Just my $0.02

1) Although it isn't uncommon to have abnormal pigment on the tongue, if it just "appeared," you should have the vet take a look to be sure.

2) Not sure about a temperature-eye booger correlation. It looks like you'll just be cleaning is face more often. :)

3) Be careful with the ice. You don't want him to chomp such a huge piece that he could break a K9 tooth. Eating ice has also been linked to bloat.

4) Never used it

5) See your vet, discuss it with your breeder. Do you give any joint supplements such as glucosamine/chondroitin?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I can help you with question number one. The spot on the tongue is what we here affectionately call "treat spots", it is where you place the treat.:) It is actually pigmentation, and my Brady got his around 5 months. Some tongues are marked more than others, some not at all. It is one of the most common reasons puppy owners rush their goldens to the vets.

The eye boogies, I noticed that one of my dogs and one of my cats have been getting them the past couple of weeks, (I too have been getting them). I might contribute to the air. As long as it is not green and the eyes are not red, and he his nose is not running, I think it is ok.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Dexter is 9 months old, and as concerned and new puppy parents I have a few questions....

1. About 3 weeks ago my girlfriend and I both noticed a small black spot, a little bit bigger than the diameter of a pen cap, near the midway point of his tongue. we both independently noticed it around the same time, which leads us to believe it was not there before. What is this and is it a sign of something harmful?

2. Since it has been getting colder and our house is at a cooler constant temperature, Dexter has been waking up with increasingly worse eye boogers. He shows no sign of any eye irritation, and they are not preventing him from opening his eyes (just in the corner like normal eye boogers). Is there a relationship between cool temps and eye boogers, and is this a sign of something harmful?

3. Now that it has snowed Dexter is amazingly interested in chomping on ice. We give him an ice cube every now and then to chew, but every time we go outside now he finds a chunks of ice to chew. Is this harmful in the long run for his teeth?

4. I've been reading about "mushers secret" and am wondering if this is a good product to apply to dexters paws whenever we take him out in the snow, or only when we take him on walks where we will encounter road salt?

5. After Dexter has been running and playing hard for a while, like at the dog park, he starts to run slightly sideways and sometimes walks with a slight limp. Whatever is hurting him does not keep him from playing, but I was wondering if the slight side canter and limp is normal for puppies who just played hard? He is 9 months old and a right around 70 pounds, so I was thinking that it might be joint pain and will get better as his growth plates further fuse with age. Some thoughts?
1. I would not worry about the black spot on the tongue at all - it is a treat spot! Look up that term on this forum, and you should find tons of pictures! I wouldn't make a special trip, but have the vet look at it next time you're there just to ease your mind... Hopefully his looks exactly like the spots on the rest of our goldens' tongues :)

2. I don't know about co-relation b/w cool temps and eye goopies...but some mornings Bailey will have more than other mornings...and some times she will have really bad eye goopies for a couple of weeks and then they will go back to normal. If it's just in the mornings I would wipe it off with a warm cloth and let him go on with his day...if it starts getting bad throughout the day (excessively) I would have the vet take a look.

3. I'm pretty sure ice is not harmful for his TEETH, but there have been warnings on here about having them ingest too much ice in general - something about the amount of air they will be swallowing too, could cause bloat. If he is supervised and not eating excessive amounts, I would not be too concerned though...be thankful it isn't rocks!

4. Never tried it, but I have heard great things about it and will probably get it myself. My girls get these large snow/ice chunks stuck between their toes in the winter, and I'm sure this would eliminate that!

5. After excessive exercise, Bailey will have a slight limp the next day. I've never been too concerned...I think of it in comparison to when I've had a good work out at the gym :) However, his young age might be something to be concerned about - I'm sure others will chime in about that.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts

1. Treat spots and totally normal. I won't go into it as the above responses already did!

2. I'll send my boy Sammy over there to take care of them.. he diligently cleans any new eye boogies out of my other dog's eyes every morning :p: Again, as long as it's not like overly excessive or a symptom along with others like runny nose, etc, it's probably pretty normal.

3. If you are talking about just giving him an ice cube now and then as a little treat, that's fine. The main danger with ice is if you give it to an OVERHEATED dog to chew or eat, which you should not ever do.

4. No advice as it never snows where I live.

5. Definitely something to talk about with your vet at his next checkup! Could be anything from just a pulled muscle from playing too hard and nothing to worry about, to something that possibly needs veterinary attention.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with the above responses.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I use mushers secret when the snow is very sticky or when the road crews have lots of salt spread around. I apply it right before we step out the door and it seems to be gone by the time we return to the house so there is no problem with it messing up the floors.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Did you make any changes to his diet recently? Reason I say this is because once we moved Scarlett away from a grain based to a higher protein her eye boogies stopped and only return briefly in the fall with northwinds that carry abnormal pollen.

Point being it could be his diet and the grain in his food that gives him boogies (I love sayin that word)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, my golden is about 5 months old and the spot on the tongue is there as are the eye boogies. I don't usually post because more often than not someone asks the question I was going to ask.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
I love the black tongue spots too, but I am not sure about your pup's eyes being goopy. They do get some of the same little infectious viruses kids do, and it wouldnt hurt to have your vet take a glance.

I also use Musher's Secret when it's snowman snow, or if we're walking downtown where the sidewalks are salty. I also agree with Oakley's Dad that it never causes any mess and seems to be gone by the walk's end.

The limp worries me a bit, though there are may reasons it might not be anything serious. Since goldens sometimes have Pano and dysplasia, it's good to get any limp that reoccurs checked out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your responses.

I will definitely check in with the vet about the limping, and while there will ask about the eye boogers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, there have been no changes to his recent diet. We eased him into the california wellness adult food around six months, and it greatly helped with solidifying his poop. Now it's much easier to clean up and he has much less gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts