Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing a previous question on nails made me think about asking this: Riley is over 5 months old and I have never had to cut her nails. Ever. They are not long at all. We walk from 2 - 3 miles a day, mostly on pavement. I guess this is what is keeping her nails short. I've never even had to trim her dew claws. Anyone have this experience?

·
Premium Member
18,635 Posts
It's probably the pavement, one thing though, be careful how much walking you are doing on hard surfaces, you want to protect her growing joints.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's probably the pavement, one thing though, be careful how much walking you are doing on hard surfaces, you want to protect her growing joints.
We walk twice a day, morning and night...about 1 - 1 1/2 miles each walk. Do you think that't too much? Unfortunately there are no trails and few off road places for us to walk around here. There are some soccer fields behind my house and she likes to run out there. But we have to be sneaky about it because of our county's unfair dog laws. And we live about 1/4 mile from the beach and can't take her there either due to our stupid laws.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
My friend does that with her dogs - but I don't think it's enough. I usually trim Griffs and then take him for a walk to file them smooth. :)

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Molson is now almost 10 months and I've never clipped his nails. I filed one of his dewclaws once 2 weeks ago with my own nail file (I was doing mine and he was curious, so I gave him a mini pet-icure). I don't think his nails are very long at all. From what I can see, if I clipped anything off it would be right in the quick.

He gets most of his exercise from a 30-40 minute walk in the evening (I always try and get him to walk on the grass intsead of the street/pavement) and running at the dog park (grass/dirt). I dont know how Molson's claws don't grow!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm think that with Mac, I walked her about 1 1/2 miles when she was around 12 months. We would walk once a day. She got other exercise by running around in the back yard playing fetch, or swimming in the pool. We did take walks up until she was around 12 months that maybe were about a mile, or 3/4 of a mile.

Just today, we went for our first two/time walk of 1 1/2 mile each--and she's 18 months. We walk all on pavement--sidewalk.

I'm in South Florida, and yes, I agree the laws in Florida (Flora-duh) are the worst for dogs for off leash exercise. You might want to mention to your vet the amount of walking you're doing with your golden--I tend to think if you're just ambling along, and she's not over heating, then you should be fine, but if you're going at a pretty fast clip, it may be a bit too much for those growing joints and I'd do one walk and try something else for exercise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts