Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious about my puppy's growth/weight the past 2 weeks since he hasn't been gaining any weight, he's 20 weeks today and weighs around 33 lbs. I've been feeding him 3.5 cups of PPP large breed puppy food which is above the recommended serving, with additional treats throughout the day. I believe he gets a good amount of exercise? He gets 2 30 min walks with running and playing with other dogs we see, and the kids play a fair amount with him at home, and sometimes he goes to the basement to have his daily zoomies. The vet saw him about a month ago, he was healthy, and has gained around 6-7 lbs since then. His ribs aren't visible but can be felt when applying a bit of pressure, which I've read is a good thing? His parents were both 55-60 lbs so I'm guessing he'll be on the smaller/leaner side of things. First puppy just wanted to get the thoughts of others!

Here's some pics I've took of him
Dog Carnivore Pet supply Dog breed Working animal
Dog Plant Carnivore Collar Dog breed

Attachments

·
Kristy
10,284 Posts
If your vet continues to be happy with his body condition, try not to worry. A good vet practice will welcome you calling to ask to drop by for a weight check, so do that if it would make you feel better. Slow growth for a puppy is so much better for his joints and your puppy doesn't have a lot of bone, so is going to look smaller than a lot of Goldens you might see pictured here. I think his schedule and food intake sounds great and would keep it up. You will want to adjust the amount of food he gets over the next few months as he hits 9-12 months and keep a close watch that he doesn't start getting too heavy. 3.5 cups will be too much food for him as an adult unless he gets a LOT of aerobic exercise.

Purina Health Study This article might make you feel better about keeping him leaner. I think he looks great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our female puppy weighed about 36lbs at 20 weeks. Everything I've read on this forum favours having your puppy grow more slowly anyway to help their joints develop properly. If vet is happy and you can't see his ribs, then I'm sure he's fine :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts