Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy has lost quite a few puppy teeth. Recently, I noticed that when he closes his mouth I hear his teeth grinding together. This is different than what I read on other boards- he is not grinding his teeth in his sleep. It only happens when he closes his mouth, and not every time.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or a theory they would care to share.

Thanks!

Mary

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Yep, I've seen it in client pups. I would guess that his deciduous premolar caps are getting about ready to fall out. Right now they are caught between his new adult teeth coming in from the gum side and the opposite teeth, resulting in the grinding sound when he chews or even just closes his mouth. If it annoys you, they are probably loose enough for you to pop off yourself.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
My pup is the same age, and she grinds, too...aweful noise, isn't it? It'll pass, I suppose, just like the strange smell out of her mouth...

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Ugh, that sound is awful! It's the molars, like IowaGold mentioned. The smell is just wrong too.

(on a completely unrelated note, Jack is laying on the ground watching The Hangover right now and it is just cracking me up. Apparently all boys like this movie, even the canine ones. :) )

·
Registered
368 Posts
Oh man... neither of my little dogs grind their teeth, and never have, that is my "nails on a chalkboard sound" do all teething big dogs do this? I'm going to have to leave the room if cosby does it lol, my little sister did it as a baby when she was rocked to sleep, i'd have to hand her over to my stepmother and leave the room lol

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Oh man... neither of my little dogs grind their teeth, and never have, that is my "nails on a chalkboard sound" do all teething big dogs do this? I'm going to have to leave the room if cosby does it lol, my little sister did it as a baby when she was rocked to sleep, i'd have to hand her over to my stepmother and leave the room lol
Jack's isn't a teeth grinding in his sleep, but more like his molars are loose and not lining up correctly with other teeth so they make a horrible sound when he closes his mouth. Last week I decided to start pulling teeth that are hanging by a thread. It's gross, but he seems to appreciate it since he's miserable when they're hanging there and bleeding all over the place. it's just nasty.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My step mom is a dentist... and said she'd love to come visit us in WA... when the time comes for that maybe I'll be like "now would be a perfect time to come visit... my dog needs some teeth pulled.." LOL

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
My step mom is a dentist... and said she'd love to come visit us in WA... when the time comes for that maybe I'll be like "now would be a perfect time to come visit... my dog needs some teeth pulled.." LOL
My sister's father in law is a dentist and was in town visiting and pulled one of his teeth last week. I guess Jack looked miserable and it was an upper canine tooth sticking out to the side. He was like "get me a tissue" and yanked it. So it wouldn't be the first time a human dentist pulled dog teeth :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hahaha! Glad to know I'm not the only one. I am a dentist and recently had to pulled a few of Bell's teeth. She had a few that were hanging by a thread and were making her miserable. Since she goes to work with me, I grabbbed a pair of hemostats and popped them out.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
No not all dogs do the horrid grinding sound. None of my three have. It usually doesn't last more than a few days, though, when it does happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts