Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just checking in to see if anyone has experienced the same change with their GR pup. Our boy Toby (5 months yesterday) was an 'average' energy level puppy up until a few weeks ago - built in sleeps but definitely a lot of bursts of energy throughout the day. But since a couple of weeks he is suddenly soo mellow/lazy/calm all day! Even though thankfully he eats, drinks and poops well it seems like a drastic transition. We also kind of need to drag him out for walks - once he's outside he's fine, and when with other dogs he's social as always. But once back inside he'll pretty much straight away lie down again and sleep/ stare. His play is much calmer and he prefers to lie down while chewing his toys.

I'm not immediatly worried something is wrong, it's just so noticable and as he is our first dog I'm curious if there are more owners who noticed the same changes around this age..

Thanks so much!

Dog Carnivore Plant Dog breed Whiskers

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did your pups parents have good clearances for their hips, elbows? If you don’t know maybe worth your vet checking your pups hips & elbows.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Every pup is different. Our girl has never been high energy, but I would say at 5 months she could still be kind-of a handful at times. She slept a ton at that age, but when she was awake she would do the normal turkey puppy behaviors in regards to trying to mouth etc., wanting to chase the cat. If this seems to be a drastic change from your boys previous behavior, it would definitely be worth bringing it up with your vet. He’s a real cutie 😊. Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
404 Posts
My boy was incredibly calm as a puppy, but he had been that way since we picked him up. The sudden change in behavior may be a cause for concern. It could also be nothing. Did the parents have clearances on hips, elbows, heart, and eyes? Did they have genetic testing? Lack of these could explain the issues. I would check with your vet just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Thats a little odd to me, Piper napped a lot at that age but still had a lot of energy. There were times she was more subdued when teething but never enough that I would be worried (and then, it was just more chewing). I consider her to have a normal GR temperament, which is to say that she is still very playful and wants to be active (she's 6), but was good about settling down inside

I would take your pup in to the vet to be sure. Would be worth doing an exam, checking for tender spots, and listening to the heart, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Toby_thegolden curious how things are going now? Was it just a temperament change or was there something going on? Going through the same thing with my 5 month old golden.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
@Toby_thegolden curious how things are going now? Was it just a temperament change or was there something going on? Going through the same thing with my 5 month old golden.
The OP subsequently posted that her pup was diagnosed with a nasty bacterial infection then treated and was recovering.

This reinforces the fact that a sudden change is behavior is a reason to see the vet.
@CKurtz - to be on the safe side, have your pup checked by the vet.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
@goldy1 thank you for linking that! I saw the vet for a fractured baby tooth the other day, and she didn’t seem concerned since he’s still active on walks and when playing with other dogs + he’s eating and drinking ok. But when inside the house he just lays around most the day, when just 3 weeks ago he was driving me crazy with his hyper energy. Can’t shake that somethings up, so I’ll likely call and push my vet to investigate further.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
@CKurtz Follow your gut instinct. I always do with mine and have never regretted it. You are his only advocate and know him best. And even if bloodwork shows nothing is wrong 🤞 (fingers-crossed) , it will give you baseline numbers for him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just thought I’d give an update in case anyone is going though a similar situation. My puppy ended up getting antibiotics for a small gash in his mouth after a fractured baby tooth. After 3 days of antibiotics he was completely back to his normal, hyper, active self! I don’t know if it was an infection from the fractured tooth or some other type of infection, but either way the antibiotics kicked it. So yeah, wasn’t normal for my puppy to be acting so calm/sleepy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts