Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently added a 5 month old golden puppy to my family, he has been with me for about 2 weeks now.His name is Ace, a male and very sweet. He has been vet checked ofcoarse and received all his shots. He has played with the neighbours dogs and did amazingly well, 2 pug/shitsu mix dogs. He has also been to my freinds house and got along extremely well with an adult female japanese akita who is very well trained and even let him drink from her water bowl at one point.

There is an issue with his growling though, it is very rare that he does growl. he has only done it 3 times. once when he saw his reflection in the mirror. which is normal.

but the other 2 times has been when i am filling up his food bowl and as i am walking towards his feeding area to put the bowl down i have gotten a growl at him while looking at me. it has happened twice now.

the first thing i thought about was that he has resource guarding issues. The thing that is confusing me though is that he ONLY growls when i am holding his food bowl and going to put it down in the designated feeding area. After that i am able to put my hand in his bowl when he is eating, pet him, put treats in, and hand feed him at will and i have never gotten any negative reaction from doing that. I can also take away his favorite toy and give it back to him without any problem whatsoever, I am raising him under the impression that everything in my house is mine and I am the one who decides when he gets it.

When he growled at me this morning as I was putting the food bowl down I kept it in my hand and walked all the way up to him, he immediately sat down and i stood there on top of him shaking the bowl so that the food made the sound inside it. Thinking that maybe it was the ssound that was triggering the growl. and a few seconds later he went from a sitting down position between my legs to lying down and was completely submissive. As soon as i saw that i went and placed the bowl in its place and encouraged him to go eat, he did. and i came to his bowl a few minutes later and place a treat inside it which he enjoyed.

Am i doing the right thing? Is there anything i should be worried about?

He has only been with me for 2 weeks, is it an issue of him trusting me with time?

Thanks for a great forum, looking forward to your replies

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
It would be nice to see that on tape but from what you are saying I am inclined to think that it may just be an excitement/anticipation growl.
Do you use a steel/aluminum bowl? He may see his reflection in it as you are going to put the bowl down.

Reactions: Noreaster

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i do use a stainless steel bowl, he could very well be seeing his reflection in it! haha thank you i hadnt actually thought of that. what are the chances.

if it is the case of excitement/anticipation growl, could it be that he is simply hungry? should i consider reducing the time between each meal?

i currently feed him at 8 am, 2 pm, and 7 pm.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
At this age I think three meals are very good for him. How much do you feed each meal? Do you treat between meals?
Look at the food instruction on the bag.

·
Noreaster
2,084 Posts
Wow, ClaudiaM, that was brilliant. Would never have thought of that!

Reactions: Claudia M

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i read the instructions on the food bag and im feeding him accordingly.

yes i give him lots of treats during the day, but only during training sessions. which i do around 2 or 3 times a day.

he has learnt to sit, lie down, stay and come. he is a very smart boy.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I agree with ClaudiaM on both counts, although I never would have thought of the reflection in the bowl!

I would love to know more about his body language when he is "growling". Do his lips peel back? Does he look tense? Is his tail tucked, or up and wagging?

Rocket is very vocal when he is excited....he groans, grunts, whines, gives noises that could be construed as growls, but that are more just "talking". He is usually wagging his tail when he does this, and there is no baring of teeth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
his lips are sealed he does not show any teeth, the growl seems to come from within.

he does get tense though, his tail is not wagging either. i just fed him his night time meal and i made sure to take my sweet time preparing his food bowl. and he sat down and waited patiently untill i put it down. no growling at all. i walked away and he was still sitting there almost as if he was waiting for my permission to eat. i think thats a good thing, im not sure though. i gave him the OK to eat and dropped a few treats in his food bowl.

i should mention the growling happens only at his lunch time meal. in the morning and at night it is fine, both times he growled was at the midday meal. maybe thats when it is brightest hence him seeing his reflection in the bowl?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts