Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, so I had some friends over last night (Friday night) first time since this whole Covid crazy… some of them smoke weed and I let my puppy hangout with us while we were having some drinks but watching him like a hawk like I always do.. he was fine all night with tons of energy and in the morning. At around 11:30pm I put him in crate with a kong and he was super excited as usual for his food! He finished entire thing and I figured he took a nap after so I let him sleep. I go to open the crate around 1pm in the afternoon and the little guy is being super drowsy and won’t come out of his crate. I instantly knew something was off because he is always so excited to come out of his crate. I picked him up and pulled him out but he barely had much balance and just went back to laying down… I was positive the weed would have been all cleaned up by my friends (I don’t smoke) but I guess some must have fallen on the ground and he must have ate it this morning which took a while to kick which is why I think he was fine in the morning…. I was super sad and upset and confused how this could happen… I called the closest vet I could find and they took him in and the first thing they asked is if he ate any marijuana and I said I don’t think so as I never saw him but it was around so there was a possibility.. all his symptoms seem to point toward that he was high. The vet suggested blood work which came back normal then to put him on IVs and activated charcoal. It is now 11:58pm Saturday and he is acting near normal but I just put him to sleep. This whole incident costed me $700 which I think is crazy over having some friends over and someone accidentally dropping weed but I guess not realizing it… it seems almost impossible for it to of been anything else when he’s been such a happy dog. If I never took him to the vet and I knew he was high, let it take its time to wear off on him, would he be high for multiple days in a row ? What would you guys have done in my shoes? Bring him to the vet and pay $700 or let the high wear off ?

Thanks for any help. I don’t want anyone to think I am not a responsible dog owner because I am and I really look out and take care of him so much every day it’s nearly my full time job as I work from home and he has been my priority since I got him at 8 weeks old. Thanks

·
Kristy
10,346 Posts
I'm not sure what you want us to say. This was a huge mistake and I hope you have learned how to keep this from ever happening again. If your friends are careless with something that can hurt your puppy, they can't bring it to your home anymore.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What would you guys have done in my shoes? Bring him to the vet and pay $700 or let the high wear off ?
This is the only part I’m going to answer, and I will answer exactly as you have asked.

If I were you, and my friends had smoked pot around my puppy, and I had later found my puppy acting strangely, I would take him to the vet and pay the bill. I would not think it’s crazy that the vet seeing my puppy in an emergency situation needs to charge for those services. If I were you in this situation, I would acknowledge that I made a mistake and I would not allow my friends to smoke pot around my puppy ever again.

·
Kate
22,833 Posts
This is the only part I’m going to answer, and I will answer exactly as you have asked.

If I were you, and my friends had smoked pot around my puppy, and I had later found my puppy acting strangely, I would take him to the vet and pay the bill. I would not think it’s crazy that the vet seeing my puppy in an emergency situation needs to charge for those services. If I were you in this situation, I would acknowledge that I made a mistake and I would not allow my friends to smoke pot around my puppy ever again.
Spot on.

Weed is toxic to dogs even in small quantities.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Agreed! Thank you

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Problem is that you could not be sure it was pot! Maybe someone dropped 'something else', that your puppy picked up and ate! He could have died, you did the right thing. I would be sure to never expose him to this or similar risks again. He may have developed a nose/ taste for this stuff and he will find it again, if it is available....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Animals don't have to ingest weed to develop toxicity. If your friends were smoking weed and your pup was in the same space, the smoke would be enough to cause a problem. I certainly don't think you meant any harm to your pup, but you got lucky this time. What is more concerning than your ignorance about the effects of THC on your dog is the fact that you seem "put out" that you had to spend $700 to treat your puppy ("which I think is crazy over having some friends over"). The only "crazy" thing about this situation is that you let your friends smoke around your dog in the first place. You absolutely did the right thing by taking your pup to the vet; letting it "wear off" could have resulted in his death. Please learn from this and don't ever let your friends have/use drugs again around your pup.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome story.. this happened to a puppy, imagine if it happened to one of your children. You sound like the most responsible stand up citizen out there.
Appreciate that thank you! Huge unfortunate learning experience. Definitely not going to allow him to
Animals don't have to ingest weed to develop toxicity. If your friends were smoking weed and your pup was in the same space, the smoke would be enough to cause a problem. I certainly don't think you meant any harm to your pup, but you got lucky this time. What is more concerning than your ignorance about the effects of THC on your dog is the fact that you seem "put out" that you had to spend $700 to treat your puppy ("which I think is crazy over having some friends over"). The only "crazy" thing about this situation is that you let your friends smoke around your dog in the first place. You absolutely did the right thing by taking your pup to the vet; letting it "wear off" could have resulted in his death. Please learn from this and don't ever let your friends have/use drugs again around your pup.
Although I had my puppy out when my friends were over, I had him inside while they were smoking weed so I never let them smoke around him. My puppy was fine through the entire night with my friends over, and he was fine the whole next morning up until closer to 1pm in the afternoon which my guess is that he had found a piece of weed that must have accidentally went on the floor and he had to eat it so this happened the morning after. After it happened and he was off I already knew I was going to bring him in and pay whatever fee the vets bill was since my vet was closed so I didn’t even know there rates. As a pet owner I have money aside for instances like these and I’m a very responsible person but all I was wondering was if the puppy would have been fine if I never had brought him and what the difference would be. Of course I have his absolute best interest in mind but I read online that people will just let the effects of the THC wear off on there dog and not bring them into the vet and they are fine after a day. So I wanted to question it as there seems to be another side of people just letting it wear off on the puppy or dog who may have ate the weed. It was a learning lesson for sure and definitely something that had opened my eyes to be aware of more in the future.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I would NEVER rely on the internet to tell me if something is dangerous or not! I would call our local poison control or a vet! I do know that dogs frequently react differently to drugs than people do. So this whole thing scares me....I am glad your pup is ok...I would call it a cheap lesson!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem is that you could not be sure it was pot! Maybe someone dropped 'something else', that your puppy picked up and ate! He could have died, you did the right thing. I would be sure to never expose him to this or similar risks again. He may have developed a nose/ taste for this stuff and he will find it again, if it is available....
For sure. My best bet is that it was pot and my friends swear they cleaned up all there weed but who knows if a small piece ended up on the ground or not… I’ve definitely learned a lot through this experience and oddly today on his walk he is normally trying to pick up random things with his mouth but today I swear he did it 10x less… I am wondering if he realized he ate something bad that made him feel not good yesterday but who knows. He has been getting much better on his walks anyways. Thanks for the reply

·
Super Moderator
3,124 Posts
It happens all the time at the ER vet I work at. Definitely better to pay that $700 than wait and see how bad it gets, especially since he's so young and you don't know exactly how much he could've eaten (some of the side effects can be pretty scary to see). I agree you got off lightly, there was a 7 month old puppy at work who ate his owner's edible and ended up hospitalized for 2 days.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It happens all the time at the ER vet I work at. Definitely better to pay that $700 than wait and see how bad it gets, especially since he's so young and you don't know exactly how much he could've eaten (some of the side effects can be pretty scary to see). I agree you got off lightly, there was a 7 month old puppy at work who ate his owner's edible and ended up hospitalized for 2 days.
Oh man I can’t imagine an edible…. Those things are super strong… but for sure I agree, especially the fact I do not even know how much of it he ate which I assume it was a small amount. His health wasn’t something I wanted to risk or him being high for a longer period of time. Maybe if he was an adult and ate a teeny tiny amount it would have been an accepting depending on his reaction from it… but with how my little guy did not even want to move or could barely stand up it was clear I had to rush him in as quick as possible. Just wanted to hear from others if they would have let the puppy wait it out or what… I always have my puppies best interest in mind and he is back to 100%. Vet called me and they said results came back as THC was positive in his system therefore it was 100% weed

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The weed was bad enough - but kept him in a crate for 13 hours ? ? ? How would you like to be kept in a crate for 13 hours ?
I gave him a kong at 11:30am is what I meant , he was going at his kong in crate for about 40 minutes and then took close to an hour nap afterwards (which was first nap of the day) which brought it to 1pm. (A lot of times he falls asleep after eating his kong in the crate )

but the longest he is in his crate is really around 12 hours because he goes to bed around 9pm and wakes up at 9am the next day ready to go !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts