Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a great thread on here awhile ago about a puppy not sleeping through the night. It was recent and if I recall that puppy was somewhere between 5-10 months old - main thing was it wasn't a baby puppy anymore and had started barking during the night.

I can't for the life of me use the search function to find that thread! Now I am having the same problem. My puppy is now almost 5 months old and is starting to be a little brat about going to sleep. I took the dogs out for an hour plus walk last night. We got home around 7:30. Puppy passed out. I TRIED to go to bed around 10. Puppy started whining. Even though I had just taken her out less than an hour ago - I took her out again just in case- she went pee for like 2 seconds.

I was so frustrated that she had just been whining for no reason! And then she just refused to settle down in her crate. Whining off and on all night long. I had my boyfriend take her out again when he got home around 2 A.M. Still whining, just not wanting to be in her cage.

She's fine if she's not in her cage. But recently she hates her cage. I didn't have to force her in but Saturday night I did.

I've been wanting to start taking the dogs out for a morning walk as well. I really feel like that would be a great way to start the dog's day. Make them happier overall. And then afterwards just leave them in the same room as BF and let her hang out there till BF wakes up. But this morning I was so exhausted from being up all night.

I just don't know why she's being restless at night all of a sudden and refusing to go to sleep. Maybe if I took her out of the crate she would be fine but she's still not 100% house trained I don't think? (2 accidents in the last 2 weeks - each week was a full week no accidents - she's getting there so close)

I just want to sleep!!!

Seriously this dog gets a lot of attention and play time. The only time she is home alone is from 3:30-5:45 everyday M-F. That's it!

I walk her everyday. I realize she's bigger now and needs a morning walk but I can't give her a morning walk if she won't sleep through the night.

And the kicker - she passed out cold at 4:30 and I had to wake her up when I left for work to take her out first.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Some dogs just don't take to the crate. At 4 months Penny had the run of the house so maybe at 5 months she's ready for more freedom. Sorry I didn't see her name in your post.

How about giving her an xpen in your bedroom? You could use a corner of the room or a spot next to your bed. Clearly, she's unhappy. It will be easier on everyone to find a different solution that works for all of you.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I cannot find the thread, either. However, have you considered putting a blanket or sheet over the crate? Bear would whine when we crated him at night only for the first few weeks. But he hasn't done it since (unless it's morning and HE KNOWS I either am up or should be up). You can also give her a stuffed Kong when you put her down for the night. And if you KNOW she doesn't have to potty, don't reward her whining by letting her out.

You can also try moving the crate into the bedroom so she doesn't feel so lonely.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah this morning after I let her out of her crate and left for work I let her just hang out in the room with the other dog. i puppy proofed the room last night. So - once BF wakes up - I'll find out how that went. Hopefully she isn't having any accidents giving her more freedom will work!!

Yes I have an expen, I will try using that tonight by my side of the bed so she has more space and so she isn't necessarily confined to the cage of doom.

Thank you for the suggestions!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to give an update and say that I tried the x-pen idea and she still wasn't a huge fan but there was WAY less whining than the night before. So this is doable.

Also, yesterday after I left for work, I let her have free reign of the (puppy-proofed) room till Josh woke up. Same thing today.

So hopefully little girl proves she's trustworthy as far as not having any accidents and we will all be much happier!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts