Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we're taking puppy obedience classes and we're on week 2. Hina is pretty good on walks with the help of her training collar. I'm conflicted with how I should walk with her outside of class. We're told to keep our leash at our belly button and keep her at attention by my left leg. However, when we're walking, she does like to stop briefly to smell and explore. Should I let her do this? or continue walking even if she wants to sniff and pick up another dog's scent?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I believe the best method is to give her permission to stop and smell a bit. Walks can be instructive but don't have to be all businesslike.

·
Kate
22,436 Posts
My opinion is walks are for the dogs...

Leash training and heeling - this specific training is for when you are taking your dog somewhere like a store or a parade or somewhere public and you want to reinforce leash manners. Those are the times I'd reinforce heeling.

Regular walks, within reason - I think dogs can and should sniff and wag all they like. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! and thank goodness you guys think so. I didn't want to take the joys of sniffing away from her :)

Here's a pic of her from last weekend.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts