Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 y/o Golden mix has been coughing on and off for a few weeks now. I ran him to the vet in a panic the first day he started, and the vet said his food was irritating his throat. We softened his food for the rest of the week and Bear seemed to be feeling better. Then it started again. Again to the vet, but this time the diagnosis was allergies. We were told to give him an anti-histamine if the coughing got worse. It did and we gave him a Benadryl, but it didn't seem to help him. The cough went away again.

A few days ago, it came back, this time with a mucusy sound. I've softened his food again and given him a little extra yogurt (he gets two tablespoons every day for his digestive health- got into something a year ago and killed off most of the bacteria in his tract). He seemed to feel better.

Yesterday he vomited, and again this morning. I don't know if the vomiting is accompanying the coughing or not, since I've yet to catch him vomit, just the aftermath which he usually eats. *shudder*

What can I do to make him feel better now? I plan on taking him into the vet either later today or tomorrow, but I'd love some advice beforehand. He's current on his shots (had all his vaccines for the year a month ago) and has never had worms, as far as I know. He was a rescue, though, and I don't know his entire medical history.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Bumping for feedback. Please let us know what the vet had to say.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Did the vet examine his thoat could he have chewed on a stick or something and irritated the thoat. Please let us know what the vet said. Sending healing vibes your way.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Could it be kennel cough or some other respiratory infection? Our dogs recently picked up kennel cough despite being vaccinated against it. I know really bad coughing can sometimes make dogs vomit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, guys! I'm sorry I hadn't updated already. Bear is just fine now- he's only coughed once and hasn't vomited or had an accident since I took him in to the vet's. She listened to his chest and throat, then took a stool sample. Turns out he has a bacterial infection, so he's on antibiotics and yogurt for the next week. Then we'll keep him on just the yogurt since his insides seem to do better when he gets a tablespoon or two every day. Guess I'll have to share, huh? *laugh*

Thanks for your concern, everyone! Bear and I are grateful. :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Oh, the poor boy. Hope he gets better quickly. Thanks for the update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts