Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Allie and Lucy's dad
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, what a fun way to introduce us.:doh:

I have a 4 and change year old Golden named Allie. 75-80lbs roughly. Recent trip to the vet Saturday to get her teeth cleaned resulted in her being rather sleepy and not pooping until Sunday evening. Then it was kinda squishy and not a lot...figured she was just a bit out of whack from the meds. I stopped using the pain meds Sunday morning.

Came home from work yesterday afternoon (Monday) and discovered two HUGE stinky piles of poo in the house. Cleaned up them, cleaned up her, she seems happy and fine otherwise. Plenty of appetite, affection, cold wet nose, drool, hair, etc.

Fed like normal, she seemed fine, walked last night, half solid poo, then went to bed.

Woke up and discovered she had pooped in her kennel.:yuck: It was on her and it. Yum.
Still acts and looks fine. Healthy as a horse otherwise. Was ready to go into the vet when people recommended Pepto, Imodium, or one of those in combination with a bland diet of rice and hamburger for a while. I've done the bland diet before, never the meds.
Last time I went to the vet for this a while back I came away with no solid answer and a painful bill for x-rays and what I suspect was doggie Imodium.

I'm about to go wash her...again...and hoping someone can give me some advice. The internet is FULL of conflicting advice and the advice from friends has led me to consider Pepto or Imodium and maybe the bland diet...but not having much luck with how much and if I should withhold food for a while or not? Quantity of food, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Luci and Karen519

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Pumpkin in the can, organic, nothing added. About 1/3 cup with each feeding(if you use kibble, you can mix it in with her kibble). Not the kind used in pumpkin pie. Usually found in your health food section of the grocery store or available at places like Trader Joes. Sorry this has happened. She could have also picked up a bug or parasite of sorts being at the vet. I really hope not, but you can't overlook the possibilites. Sure hope she's okay.

·
Allie and Lucy's dad
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm probably going to make a run to the store here in a minute. Seen that mentioned several times.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Welcome to the forum, on some less than ideal circumstances.

Here is a Sticky of a thread by one of the forum contributors, Iowa Gold, a veterinarian: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...dard/100015-what-do-about-stomach-upsets.html

We had something similar happen to us after our 7 year old's sedated dental cleaning. He is prone to colitis and he got a bad case after his sedation. It is normal for a dog to have some changes in stool after sedation, but in our case it continued for several days. We ended up treating him with some metronidazole and that cleared him up.

I hope your pup gets some relief very soon.

·
Allie and Lucy's dad
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's metronidazole?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to fast her for 24 hours...fresh water available at all times...but no solid food. Let her tummy & intestinal tract have a chance to settle down a bit.
Her body has been through a lot with the anesthesia and stress of the cleaning...

Poo is the common denominator... welcome! ;-)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
great siggy by the way....Gotta love a golden, but there is something about a naughty girl that makes me smile! ;-)

·
Allie and Lucy's dad
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.

She's freshly washed, drying in her freshly washed kennel, while her bed is getting freshly washed, and fasting until tomorrow morning (last fed her a reduced meal this morning).

Time to clean up the mess, clean me up, and get on that rice and beef...well, might be buffalo as that's what I have.

Thanks for the compliments on my sig. I always wanted a pure breed Golden but Lucy was too cute to not adopt. Pretty sure she's 2 steps ahead of me, or at least plotting that far, at most times. :)

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
My boy weighed 65 - 70 pounds and one Immodium pill generally stopped the diarrhea.

I bought the generic kind so it is quite reasonable.
I also fed him a chicken and rice diet for a few days when he had an upset stomach.

·
Allie and Lucy's dad
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any preference or evidence between Pepto and Imodium? Heard, seen, and read both and gotten educated opinions on both. I have Pepto here but two grocery stores right by if Imodium gets the nod.

Should I do that tomorrow when she's fed or this evening?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I had much better success for diarrhea with Imodium than Pepto and it only took one pill generally. Pepto seemed better for an upset stomach and I gave him the liquid so it took more effort.
I usually wrapped copper's pill in a little piece of cheese and he'd scarf it right down.;)

I'd give her one tonight in hopes of not having to clean up again!

·
Allie and Lucy's dad
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just over thinking/over worrying it.

Was FLOORED when I found a GR site. I mean...there's one for everything but guess I never looked for my doggie.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
There's a new drug (to me) on the market that is like Immodium called Sucracet or something like that. I picked it up last week for the next go round. I don't know if it works yet or not though.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Careful - you'll get hooked to GRF.;)

When you feed the chicken/rice make sure it is about 2/3 rice and only 1/3 chicken. the chicken is mostly to make it taste nicer according to my vet and the rice is what really does the trick.

If you don't feel like making the chicken/rice get a couple of jars of chicken based baby food and give her 1 jar in the morning and 1 tomorrow night. 2 at night would probably be okay too if she is doing well and wants more -- which she will if she's feeling better.;)

You can also use the liquid Imodium, but I always used the capsules with great success.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Doggy Diarrhea

Like post by IowaGold link. Ice cubes if they can't retain water.

Beef broth - from hamburger (if you boil it) is good to cook the rice in.

Have used pumpkin also. Additionally pepto bismo, and children's immodium are okay but not at the same time. Can call emergency Vet clinic for weight mg administration. Also have Perfect Form on hand from Honest Kitchen.

In addition to fasting dog, and meat/rice bland diet, I've also used plain yogurt to rebuild the beneficial bacteria. The probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus in yogurt helps. Don't use sweetened yogurt. Plain.

Also cottage cheese is easy, or scrambled egg, part of a banana if you can't get to store.

Pedialyte is good for dehydration if needed, or filtered water with dash of sea salt to replace minerals.

Like IowaGold said - watch for blood

·
Allie and Lucy's dad
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never used/bought Imodium before. Any particular size or version? Adult or children?

No blood. Just yellow/green squishiness same as when she eats something that didn't agree with her.

No problems with water drinking. She drinks enough for both dogs. I keep two bowls full for when she goes on a water binge.

·
Allie and Lucy's dad
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, well, hit Kroger and got the store brand adult Imodium. One with a little bit of cheese and she slurped it down.

Browned buffalo and white rice are in the fridge. She's clean and so is her kennel.

Crossing my fingers.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts