Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. My four year old Hank hasn’t been acting the same for the previous few months. He sleeps 98% of the day, is no longer into playing, and doesn’t perk up for things that used to excite him. He is having a tough time eating as well. He will eat everyday but it’s mostly because I have to get on him about it. He used to love his food. When he does play (rarely) he tires out within a minute and has to lay down. We used to chalk this up to depression because we got him a baby sister 5 months ago, but I’m starting to think it’s a legitimate health issue. Was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience especially with a golden so young?

Also: he did go to the vet today, his weight heart and lungs sounded great, no lumps, and he has a blood and urine panel coming back this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,780 Posts
Good that you got him to the vet. Never assume an issue with a dog (or human) is psychological without ruling out the physiological first. I hope the blood work provides some answers.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,838 Posts
It sounds to me like it's probably a health issue, hope the blood work results provide answers as to what is going on with your boy and it's nothing serious.

·
Premium Member
18,110 Posts
In addition to testing for TBD (tick borne disease), I would also have them run a thyroid panel, send it out and do T3 and T4. It's very common in Golden Retrievers to need thyroid medication. His behavior is similar to thyroid symptoms.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What food do you feed?

He is on Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin and Stomach.

Also an update: his bloodwork came back phenomenal, but his urinalysis showed bladder stones. We’re going to put him on a prescription food and antibiotic. I’m not sure if this is completely related to his behavior, but I guess we will wait and see after it is treated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,780 Posts
Does the vet think there is a link? Seems to me that this kind of illness would cause discomfort and fatigue. Glad you found what could be the cause and it is very treatable! Keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts