Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old golden retriever. she had pups back in January. im not sure if it has to do with anything, but, Her tail looks like a stick. real thin and barely any hair. not to sure whats going on?? wanting to see if yall know anything before i go to the vet for a minor thing so i dont have that vet bill. thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would take her to the vet their could be many reasons for the loss of fur. My dog's back was completely hairless and we thought it was allergies but it ended up that he had hypothyroidism.

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
A lot of females completely blow their coat a few months after having puppies. It would be a good idea to have her bloodwork checked, including thyroid, but I would bet on the litter being the main cause for her poor coat quality.

Other than that, a good quality food and maybe add some salmon oil to her diet, and her coat should improve over several months.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
More than likely it is due to the puppies? If you do a thyroid test, do a full panel. Many bitches thyroid dips low after a litter, just as with human mothers. Autoimmune thyroiditis is very different than a thyroid that is temporarily low due to illness, stress, a litter, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts