Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we've had Trixie for four months, now. It seems like longer, but it was just July 11th that we went to check on this Golden that couldn't seem to stick at a home. (3 homes between the end of May and then)

We'd never owned a Golden before. not sure about the breeds my wife had before we met, but for me, every dog was a beagle or beagle mix, Including Brillo, who was quite lonely after we'd had to put Cinnamon down in May.

Wow, I'm sure glad the previous homes that took her didn't do their homework on Goldens! I'm sure they read all of the good things about them, and loved the way they look- then when the dog turned out to be something that has needs of it's own- not somethng you keep on a shelf until you're ready to spend time with it, they found someone else to take her.

Good for us!

I did my homework. I knew that different breeds have different needs. I knew that goldens need lots of attention, and are not as independent as beagles. My wife and daughter were on board with how a Golden was going to be a new experience for us. They love this goofy blonde girl, and I think, as a team of three, we've given Trixie a good home. Her demeanor has changed in a way that would suggest this.

She was somewhat destructive when we first got her. Lots of chewed shoes and Polly Pockets. She even chewed one of my guitar cables, but I let her live :)

She's mellowed quite a bit. I think she knows that we're her forever home. She's still a very active dog, and our evening playtime is still a special bonding time for us. (I work nights and always take her out for some good run/play time when I get home- good weather or bad)

We've gone away on vacation twice since we got her. My dogs have always stayed with my sister and her dogs when we go away. The first time was for two days, and my daughter was there, too. The second time, all three of us went away for a week, and Brillo was the only thing from her everyday life that was with her. I think she may have been a bit worried that she'd been shuffled again that week, as she was a bit hyper. When I went to get them after we got back, she was very happy to see me and to get home. We ran for about ten minutes, and then she went into a serious relax mode for a couple of days. So relaxed, I wondered if she were sick, or possibly getting ready to go into heat.

Speaking of heat- we were given two stories as to her age when we got her. One story had her being born in December, one had her born in March. When we had her in for her first shots, the vet said he would lean towards March, as he could tell that she had not been through a heat cycle.

Right now, she's recovering from being Spayed last Friday. Vet says she was about a week away from going into heat. The 'no play' rule during her recovery is absolute torture and agony. It's probably rough on Trixie, too.

The vet says that taking a dog that had trouble sticking with a home during the early months brings more problems than getting one earlier. I told him that I don't mind a project dog. Cinnamon was two years old and had been neglected, abused and thrown away by two homes when I got her, and she turned out to be the Best. Dog. Ever. Vet tells Trix that she won the lottery, finding a home that loves her and takes care of her. We thought we were the ones that won the lottery getting her!

So, after 4 months- I'm incredibly pleased with this sweet and goofy 50 pound lump of love. She's everything I expected her to be- it's almost like she read everything I did about Golden retrievers and their traits and tendencies. The way she has mellowed tells me that our efforts to do right by her must at least be close. Right now, I'm looking forward to two things with her- getting off of play restriction (I've already promised her some new outside toys) and Christmas! My sister already has made her stocking, and is working on her "puppy's first Christmas" ornament.

If you were expecting a question, or some good advice, I apologize- just a happy rant from a very satisfied owner of what seems to be a very happy Golden.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Wonderful 'how we met' story...
I think your vet may be right....sounds like Trixie hit the jackpot :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
What a great story! Trixie is one lucky dog. Thanks for posting your story.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Trixie did win the lottery, and so did you. Thank you for sharing your success story, and bravo for not being put off by some possible baggage, that clearly Trixie has now put away.

And we need pictures!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I hope that we are lucky enough that she has all of the baggage put away already. If not, she's made good progress, and she has the rest of her life to finish, same as that happy ending.

Simply a case of right dog, right place, right time.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to read my "happy rant" I do need to upload a recent picture. it's just too cute not to! Gonna do that now.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Thanks for sharing such a happy story.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Such an uplifting story. Sounds like she's found the perfect home for her and you've found the perfect dog for your family. Kismet?
I wish you many, many happy years together.

My sister had a female Beagle named Pepper. My Sam adored Pepper but she wouldn't give him the time of day...until they were both very old, then she'd allow Sam to follow her around the house and yard. She never looked at him or made a sound toward him, but she allowed him to adore her from one step behind. :) Beagles are truly independent creatures.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
Lucky you. Lucky Trixie! Wonderful beginning to a lifelong friendship.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I don't know if its the weather or I'm PMSing or what, but your post made me tear up a little. Thank you so much for giving this girl a chance at a happy home. She will repay you 100 times over.
I also have a beagle mix, Sydney. She is as far from independent as a dog can come. If I could put her in a pouch and carry her around with me all day, she would be in heaven :)

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,691 Posts
Oh what a great story!! I am so glad you and Trixie found each other.

I am also grateful that my Towhee (permanent foster with hopefully a co-ownership in the future) was given up as 'too much dog' I have a sweet, loving, active and smart little golden girl to share my life with and her original owners lost out on all her joy at finding her forever home.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
That is a fabulous story. You characterized it SO well as far as certain traits goldens may possess and just being prepared! I'm waiting for the picture :)......

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I love reading the happy ending stories. Thank you for sharing it. She sounds like a wonderful girl.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She is! If you click on "images" in my header, you'll get to see pictures of her. I just love the pile of leaves picture!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Our puppy chewed on a box on vintage Joe Barden pickups; fortunately only the box was destroyed. Like any puppy, they like to chew. We throw a lots of chew toys out and keep buying them until she grows out if it. All our Goldens were chewers. They grow out of it. I always say people should find the right breed for their home; it seems you have broken the code, WELCOME!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
What a wonderful story! You two are so lucky to have each other! The name Trixie reminds me of a book that I just ordered called A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz. It's a story about Dean's golden named Trixie!! I don't know if you are much of a reader but thought if you were you might enjoy reading this book. I'm excited to start reading it! Take care!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Trixie's Dad

TRIXIE'S DAD

I love your story. Just keep an eye on Trixie so she doesn't run off.
I know the first day we rescued our Golden REt. Smooch, who was 16 mos.
and our Samoyed pup was 5 mos. and we took them for a walk, my hubby ACCIDENTALLY dropped their leashes and they COULD have been killed by a car. Thank God Ken said Karen run back home, instead of my chasing them, and when I turned to run back home, both Smooch and Snobear followed me and I was able to grab them!!

I always thought before I rescued Smooch that Golden Rets. were angels, angels in Golden Ret. Fur. Now Smooch is 10 years old and she has finally settled down somewhat!!

So glad that Trixie has you!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts