Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy just turned 16 weeks. We got her at 8 weeks and she was de-wormed several times prior to us picking her up. The breeder recommended TLC dry food so we were giving that to her. At 9 weeks she received her first round of vaccines and Bravecto and Triheart (Feb 13th). She acted completely lethargic afterwards for a few days and that is when the diarrhea began. Two weeks later she tested positive for coccidia and she has been on metronidazole multiple times since then. When she is on the metronidazole, her stools firm up and she appears to be better. She changed her food to Orijen gradually which actually made the diarrhea worse. We used goat milk for dogs as a probiotic and she has been given probiotics by the vet too. The vet recommended Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice so we gradually switched her to that. About a week ago she had 2 more vaccines (Distemper and the Parvo one) and we did NOT give Bravecto again, but she did receive Triheart. She also finished up 14 days of metronidazole on the same day. Two days later (Sunday) the diarrhea began again but this time, the worse it has ever been. It has now been 5 days of diarrhea and no improvement. She is up all night every 40 min with watery stools. Her vet is having us order Royal Canin Puppy GI food but I read the ingredients and it looks plain awful with chicken-by-product meal and unhealthy fillers. We have to wait an entire week to see a new vet for a second opinion. She is on the bland ground beef/boiled chicken rice diet and we have seen no improvement. Does anyone have any suggestions or a similar situation?

·
Registered
6 Posts
During puppyhood, Science Hills prescription food helped us a lot! An emergency/ referral vet might have some prescription GI food in stock.

We used: Science Hill's Prescription Gastrointestinal Biome:
https://app.chewy.com/uZ4OMWDk7eb

It’s not technically puppy food, but our vet told us this one is considered safe for puppies. It was definitely effective.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Metronidazole does not treat coccidia .
metronidazole treats Giardia

albon treats coccidia
metronidazole is Flagyl .
The standard treatment for Giardia is a combination of Flagyl and panacur . Having these two meds together increases the efficacy to only 70 percent .

did the vet not mention your dog has Giardia
dogs with Giardia have difficulty with any food so switching the food won’t stop the diarrhea .

I would ask why Albon was not given cause metronidazole does not treat coccidia
I would ask for albon if this was not prescribed initially AND if this was shown to be true
I would ask to drop off a new stool sample at your new vet cause it takes up to three days to get the results
I would look at previous posts on this forum regarding Giardia .
I would also make up a bleach cleaner to spray wherever you had stool
The bleach prep is one cup of bleach to a gallon of water .......... 1/4 cup bleach to a quart ......
1/8 cup to two pints which is 1/8 cup to 16 ounces . Place in a spray bottle and spray any stool piles After you pick them up .

I would see the new vet . I would want to know what is causing the diarrhea and why the puppy is on metronidazole/ Flagyl

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am in the midst of morning chores thinking about my giarida nightmare last summer.
I acquired two puppies from separate litters.
I never thought to investigate the breeder on this forum but see others were not pleased with his business. I have been wondering if I should post his kennel name cause not only were my puppies afflicted with giardiasis but we ran into another dog from a year prior litter who also dealt with giardia. All three dogs are carbon copies.
Giardia is pernicious.
I spent over a thousand dollars between vet visits and meds clearing the giardia.
We were into our fourth month of treatment when I saw bloody stools. The vet never returned my Saturday call so I immediately switched vets. The vet staff had given me twice the wrong med so this was not a knee jerk reaction. It was the final straw.
In the meantime I googled for hours everything I could think of about giardia. Most of the posts were to administer Flagyl and Panacur. { every med has two names. Flagyl is metronidazole and Pancur is Fendendazole }. It is easier to write the easier spelt names.
The original poster has a puppy who was dx with coccidia but is on a med that does not treat coccidia. she needs to ask why and why they did not prescribe Albon. She can ask for the albon medication no while waiting for the next vet appointment.
The original posts states her dog is on Flagyl/ metronidazole which treats Giardia. Why was she not told this? My first vet never instructed me to thoroughly clean any soiled item with diluted bleach. I knew from previous history but all vets should mention a treatment plan.

While you wait for the next vet to see your puppy you need to do the following or just ignore my advice.
Giardia has two stages. One stage lives in the intestinal lining which causes the diarrhea. The other stage are cysts that are shed in the stool which can reinfect the puppy if they lick a contaminated toy or a contaminated site. I would bath the dog. I would wash down the kennel and toys . I would spray any outdoor areas you still see the residual poo piles.
We dont know if this puppy has Giradia. YOU can ask if you can ahead of time submit a stool sample to your new vet so the results are back by the time you have your visit.

My puppies were positive for giardia for five months. You can only give flagyl for a certain period and then it must be stopped. I dont know what really cleared my dogs but I started giving beet juice, grapefruit seed extract , carrots and crushed pumpkin seed. Since Food coats the intestinal wall I administered the former 30 minutes to an hour before their meal. I wanted the food to lace the intestines. I chopped up the pumpkin seed to create more surface area.
I administered a 1/2 cup of beet juice in a 1/2 cup of water . The puppies eagerly drank this .
Beet juice must be only beet juice and water. Some beet juice is laced with stevia or sugar. I used bottled beet juice from the health food store cause the grocery store had no beets and frankly it was easier to just pour out the beets. They do sell powered beet juice which you just rehydrate . I had used both the powdered and the bottled beet juice. I repeat do not give beet juice that has added sugar. The first time the puppies were hesitant but every time after they eagerly ingested the beet juice watered down. I gave with water cause they were losing so much form the diarrhea.

I don't know the life cycle giardia time line . I knew we had to kill the adults and any cysts that matured to adults.

No matter what time I fed the puppies they always stooled at four a.m. so I rose at three and made sure they poo'd . It was easier to clean up poo outside then in their kennel.
One of the puppies ate his stool which just reinfected him. This was an outgoing battle.

while you wait for your next vet visit I would bath the dogs and administer the beet juice. It is harmless and effective............
I knew the items I gave helped cause we went from 8 stools a day down to three within the week. I also noticed the stool no longer was a horrific smell.
I washed my hands.
I washed the door knobs. No one else in the home contracted giardiasis. I also have two more dogs.
Please be patient.
Please be proactive.
I was so upset last summer having weeks of cleaning diarrhea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
During puppyhood, Science Hills prescription food helped us a lot! An emergency/ referral vet might have some prescription GI food in stock.

It’s not technically puppy food, but our vet told us this one is considered safe for puppies. It was definitely effective.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Our new vet gave her Hills Science Diet cans multi benefit w/d to mix into her dry food.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in the midst of morning chores thinking about my giarida nightmare last summer.
I acquired two puppies from separate litters.
I never thought to investigate the breeder on this forum but see others were not pleased with his business. I have been wondering if I should post his kennel name cause not only were my puppies afflicted with giardiasis but we ran into another dog from a year prior litter who also dealt with giardia. All three dogs are carbon copies.
Giardia is pernicious.
I spent over a thousand dollars between vet visits and meds clearing the giardia.
We were into our fourth month of treatment when I saw bloody stools. The vet never returned my Saturday call so I immediately switched vets. The vet staff had given me twice the wrong med so this was not a knee jerk reaction. It was the final straw.
In the meantime I googled for hours everything I could think of about giardia. Most of the posts were to administer Flagyl and Panacur. { every med has two names. Flagyl is metronidazole and Pancur is Fendendazole }. It is easier to write the easier spelt names.
The original poster has a puppy who was dx with coccidia but is on a med that does not treat coccidia. she needs to ask why and why they did not prescribe Albon. She can ask for the albon medication no while waiting for the next vet appointment.
The original posts states her dog is on Flagyl/ metronidazole which treats Giardia. Why was she not told this? My first vet never instructed me to thoroughly clean any soiled item with diluted bleach. I knew from previous history but all vets should mention a treatment plan.

While you wait for the next vet to see your puppy you need to do the following or just ignore my advice.
Giardia has two stages. One stage lives in the intestinal lining which causes the diarrhea. The other stage are cysts that are shed in the stool which can reinfect the puppy if they lick a contaminated toy or a contaminated site. I would bath the dog. I would wash down the kennel and toys . I would spray any outdoor areas you still see the residual poo piles.
We dont know if this puppy has Giradia. YOU can ask if you can ahead of time submit a stool sample to your new vet so the results are back by the time you have your visit.

My puppies were positive for giardia for five months. You can only give flagyl for a certain period and then it must be stopped. I dont know what really cleared my dogs but I started giving beet juice, grapefruit seed extract , carrots and crushed pumpkin seed. Since Food coats the intestinal wall I administered the former 30 minutes to an hour before their meal. I wanted the food to lace the intestines. I chopped up the pumpkin seed to create more surface area.
I administered a 1/2 cup of beet juice in a 1/2 cup of water . The puppies eagerly drank this .
Beet juice must be only beet juice and water. Some beet juice is laced with stevia or sugar. I used bottled beet juice from the health food store cause the grocery store had no beets and frankly it was easier to just pour out the beets. They do sell powered beet juice which you just rehydrate . I had used both the powdered and the bottled beet juice. I repeat do not give beet juice that has added sugar. The first time the puppies were hesitant but every time after they eagerly ingested the beet juice watered down. I gave with water cause they were losing so much form the diarrhea.

I don't know the life cycle giardia time line . I knew we had to kill the adults and any cysts that matured to adults.

No matter what time I fed the puppies they always stooled at four a.m. so I rose at three and made sure they poo'd . It was easier to clean up poo outside then in their kennel.
One of the puppies ate his stool which just reinfected him. This was an outgoing battle.

while you wait for your next vet visit I would bath the dogs and administer the beet juice. It is harmless and effective............
I knew the items I gave helped cause we went from 8 stools a day down to three within the week. I also noticed the stool no longer was a horrific smell.
I washed my hands.
I washed the door knobs. No one else in the home contracted giardiasis. I also have two more dogs.
Please be patient.
Please be proactive.
I was so upset last summer having weeks of cleaning diarrhea.
Thank you so very much for taking the time to provide such a detailed response. The new vet took a stool sample on Friday so I am waiting with baited breath for the results. Last month we did notice a lot of blood and mucus in her stool and like I said she did test positive for Coccidia, but I checked her medical records and she was given Albon to treat it along with Metronidazole for her diarhea. In the meantime, we were advised by both vets to give her a prescription diet. Today is day 3 of easing her into a tablespoon 3 x daily of Hills Science Diet wet food and Royal Canin GI puppy food (both have a pretty lousy ingredient list but here's hoping it helps for now). Today is day 3 of making the food adjustment and we really don't notice much difference. We were still up every hour on the hour last night taking her out to potty and she continues to have diarhea all night. If she tests negative for Giardia (which I really hope she does), then we are suspecting a possible chicken allergy at this point. Anyhow, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me and my poor pup. I appreciate your advice and recommendations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Metronidazole does not treat coccidia .
metronidazole treats Giardia

albon treats coccidia
metronidazole is Flagyl .
The standard treatment for Giardia is a combination of Flagyl and panacur . Having these two meds together increases the efficacy to only 70 percent .

did the vet not mention your dog has Giardia
dogs with Giardia have difficulty with any food so switching the food won’t stop the diarrhea .

I would ask why Albon was not given cause metronidazole does not treat coccidia
I would ask for albon if this was not prescribed initially AND if this was shown to be true
I would ask to drop off a new stool sample at your new vet cause it takes up to three days to get the results
I would look at previous posts on this forum regarding Giardia .
I would also make up a bleach cleaner to spray wherever you had stool
The bleach prep is one cup of bleach to a gallon of water .......... 1/4 cup bleach to a quart ......
1/8 cup to two pints which is 1/8 cup to 16 ounces . Place in a spray bottle and spray any stool piles After you pick them up .

I would see the new vet . I would want to know what is causing the diarrhea and why the puppy is on metronidazole/ Flagyl
First off, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate it. It was my mistake, she was actually given Albon to treat the Coccidia (I had to double check her medical records). She has taken Metrondaziole many times and this time around I refused to put her back on it again. I am waiting for the fecal sample results from the new vet. They did a stool sample on Friday. If the stool comes back negative for Giardia, then at this point we are suspecting a possible chicken allergy. I am waiting anxiously for these results! Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am glad to see you were able to see your new vet .
It is very frustrating , exhausting and expensive to have a sick dog.

Dogs have diarrhea due to intestinal organisms, food allergies, pancreatic issues and sometimes foreign ingestion like socks or small toys.

In order to treat you need to know the problem so I hope this is on the immediate horizon.
I can tell you that one of my dogs who was being treated for giardia was not tolerating the Flagyl. His stools were very watery, gaseous and foul smelling . I gave the beet juice laced with additional water partly thinking it won't hurt him and he so needs the fluids. He eagerly consumed it.
I switched his food to home made cause his diarrhea was nasty. I did follow a protocol to make sure he had enough calories, vitamins , and calcium .

I sincerely hope you have a source of his diarrhea sooner than later.
If it turns out to be giradia at least you have cleaned his environment so not to reinfect him

during my journey to figure out why my pups were having diarrhea I switched to an excellent vet. If anything that was the only positive out of my diarrhea escapade.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
So sorry your poor baby is having such a hard time! Fingers and toes are crossed for you to find that it's "just" Coccidia and/or some sort of food allergy that is easily resolved.

I always go to my holistic vet when I have a health issue that isn't being addressed to my satisfaction through allopathic (traditional) veterinary medicine. I'm going to provide some other topics for you to read up on/research, just in case the route you are taking now does not address your puppy's issues, or in case you see something in your research that makes you think one of these thoughts has merit (I'm not providing specific links since I think there is value in looking at more than one source on the first two topics):
1. Vaccinosis (a reaction to vaccine that occurs long after the actual shot)
2. Bovine colostrum (a product that may help heal the gut)
3. Read the section on digestive disorders on the Dog Aware site

Really hoping your puppy feels better soon!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So sorry your poor baby is having such a hard time! Fingers and toes are crossed for you to find that it's "just" Coccidia and/or some sort of food allergy that is easily resolved.

I always go to my holistic vet when I have a health issue that isn't being addressed to my satisfaction through allopathic (traditional) veterinary medicine. I'm going to provide some other topics for you to read up on/research, just in case the route you are taking now does not address your puppy's issues, or in case you see something in your research that makes you think one of these thoughts has merit (I'm not providing specific links since I think there is value in looking at more than one source on the first two topics):
1. Vaccinosis (a reaction to vaccine that occurs long after the actual shot)
2. Bovine colostrum (a product that may help heal the gut)
3. Read the section on digestive disorders on the Dog Aware site

Really hoping your puppy feels better soon!
Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your helpful tips, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out. We went to a different vet practice for a second opinion and the vet suspected worms and my puppy's fecal test results came in and she has larvae for hookworms. Luckily his suspicion was correct and she was put on Drontal Plus. What a difference in vet practices! I am so thankful that he took the time to listen to us and he was very thorough.

·
Registered
918 Posts
She has taken Metrondaziole many times and this time around I refused to put her back on it again. I am waiting for the fecal sample results from the new vet. They did a stool sample on Friday.
Good. As someone already mentioned, Metronidazole doesn't kill giardia but it has some nice anti-inflammatory effects on the GI tract and tends to resolve diarrhea very quickly (which is why vets hand out scripts for most diarrhea cases) but there are two problems - 1) it's not treating the underlying cause so it's a temporary resolution to diarrhea and 2) there is some evidence that Metronidazole may be carcinogenic when given too much, so good for you for saying no until you actually know what's wrong. If you're exhausted from nighttime diarrhea trips (been there so many times), you can ask for a Proviable-KP kit which has an antidiarrheal paste that's pretty effective especially when combined w/ some plain canned pumpkin or high fiber food.

Please be aware that giardia tests are notoriously unreliable because the parasite has to be in a specific life stage to be detected. If your vet ordered in an ELISA test that's good, it's much better than the fecal float tests but it still can miss an infection. Panacur (Fenbendazole) is what will actually kill giardia. Treat, wash everything on day 3 of treatment, don't let her revisit her diarrhea poop sites and keep her away from other dogs and their poop (they can get reinfected just by sniffing an infected dogs butt or their poop - and a lot of adult dogs are asymptomatic carriers of giardia so their owners have no clue their dog has it). Good luck. Giardia sucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts