Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So happy I found this forum. We have a 4 month Golden. Last couple of weeks he has been waking up again in the middle of night to go outside. He goes straight back to his crate afterwards. Just wondering if this is normal. He had been sleeping through the night. Any help greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
2,471 Posts
Welcome! If you get a chance post something about yourself and pictures of Tanner in Member Introductions.

What do you think has changed, if anything, in his routine, diet, etc. over the past two weeks?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! If you get a chance post something about yourself and pictures of Tanner in Member Introductions.

What do you think has changed, if anything, in his routine, diet, etc. over the past two weeks?
He is getting more exercise, food is the same, routine is same at night time. I may try to keep him awake as he tends to pass out around 9 pm and last toilet break at 10.15 ish. Could it be that he’s in a growing spurt ?

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
He may not need to go...and has just figured out that if he makes noise he gets out of the crate in the night. You could try ignoring him, or reassuring him and saying "you're okay!" and see if he settles down. In my experience, when our boy was that age and woke up in the night he was just lonely, and would go back to sleep after we reassured him that we were still nearby. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He may not need to go...and has just figured out that if he makes noise he gets out of the crate in the night. You could try ignoring him, or reassuring him and saying "you're okay!" and see if he settles down. In my experience, when our boy was that age and woke up in the night he was just lonely, and would go back to sleep after we reassured him that we were still nearby. Hope that helps!
Thank you for your insight. Unfortunately we do have his crate downstairs and not in the bedroom. We might consider bringing upstairs to our bedroom. We are raising him to be a service dog and have him for 18 months +/- I hope we can do our best for him to help him on his journey to being a service dog for an autistic child.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts