Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Zoe's Mama
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends!

So my puppy Zoe LOVES water. She is a 4 months old as of now but turning 5 months next week. Anytime we try to get her into the big pool, she goes in, but only on the first step. She never goes beyond that. I don't think it is necessary to get a life vest, but if people think it is then maybe I will get one? What did you guys do to encourage your puppies into the pool without forcing them too? Thanks! <3

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,830 Posts
Get in the pool with her and stay right next to her.
Let her go in at her own pace, don't force her.

Let her get comfortable in the water, have her swim a short distance to you, take a ball or a bumper she can retrieve.

I think it's important she knows where the steps are so she can get in and out of the pool when she needs to.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Agree with Carolina Mom - either get in the water with her, or bring over a pool loving older dog who will leap in and swim. When your pup sees the other dog, she will likely want to follow. But as CM said, let her go at her own pace. They just have to learn that they CAN swim. Once their paws leave the bottom and they realize they have the ability to stay afloat, they are usually good. It has to be a fun, positive experience.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
If I had a hard time I would use the method described in the NAVHDA Green Book. If you get a chance look at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts