Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He used to be a voracious eater and usually does about 3 cups or more...
Some days back he is less interested in food (he is playful etc) and is not that keen...
He is not eating his kibbles much (maybe in a day 1.5 cups) even when I add some wet food or curd/pumpkin to make it more tasty...
But he is eating other things (I gave him watermelon, apples etc which he eats)
I have changed the kibbles brand so that's not it...

Is he a fussy eater?
Should I be concerned and take him to a vet?
Should I just give kibbles plus meat and cut other (watermelon, apples etc?) and be strict?

All advise welcome!!

·
Kristy
10,282 Posts
You're over feeding him. Depending on the quality of the kibble, he probably only needs about 1 cup twice a day. When you add in training treats, it's plenty of food. IF he goes through a growth spurt, keep an eye on his body condition and if he seems thin around the ribs, bump up a bit for a week. You will make a picky eater if you're not careful with all the add ins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're over feeding him. Depending on the quality of the kibble, he probably only needs about 1 cup twice a day. When you add in training treats, it's plenty of food. IF he goes through a growth spurt, keep an eye on his body condition and if he seems thin around the ribs, bump up a bit for a week. You will make a picky eater if you're not careful with all the add ins.
Wow that was fast! Thanks.. He is my first dog... I saw on Internet and it says ~3 cups...
Ok I will give him what he wants...
His appetite decreased a lot in last 2-4 days... Hence was worried

·
Kristy
10,282 Posts
You know your dog best. As long as he is bright and happy and playful, don't worry. If he is lethargic or not drinking, always see the vet if he is refusing to eat at all. For my very food motivated, adult GOlden, the day she refuses food or walks away from a bowl, I will drive her straight to the vet. Some Goldens will self regulate. A good way to check is to cut out all the fun food for a day or two and only give a cup of food twice a day and see if he is cleaning his kibble. My money is that you will find he cleans his bowl without all the fun stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know your dog best. As long as he is bright and happy and playful, don't worry. If he is lethargic or not drinking, always see the vet if he is refusing to eat at all. For my very food motivated, adult GOlden, the day she refuses food or walks away from a bowl, I will drive her straight to the vet. Some Goldens will self regulate. A good way to check is to cut out all the fun food for a day or two and only give a cup of food twice a day and see if he is cleaning his kibble. My money is that you will find he cleans his bowl without all the fun stuff.
I just want to thank you...
He is eating about 2.5 cups in a day when I feed him two times... Thanks

·
Kristy
10,282 Posts
I just want to thank you...
He is eating about 2.5 cups in a day when I feed him two times... Thanks
You're welcome, I'm so glad you feel better - one of the best things we can do for the dogs we love, especially our Goldens, is to keep them on the leaner side of normal - just like people they are better off a little too thin than a little too heavy. It's a lifelong process of adjusting food amounts, bumping it up and back down, based on the amount of exercise and training treats the dog is getting. Here's a great article if you'd like to read more: Add years to your dog's life

1 - 7 of 7 Posts