Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

We're getting our puppy in one week. He'll be 8 weeks old. We are looking into buying an x-pen (Precision Pet brand), we already bought a crate for him.

I'm wondering what size x-pen you would recommend. I would prefer the 36", but I don't know if that will be large enough when he gets much bigger and still may need to use the x-pen.

Thanks in advance!

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,941 Posts
I have both. I use the 42" for my adult dogs. I have seen people use the 36" ex-pens, but I wouldn't trust them with an adult dog. They are easier to manage and move, but any 6-month old Golden would be able to jump right out if he really wanted to, and they often stand on their hind legs and put their weight against the pen, and a 36" one is easier to knock over.

That said, I think if your pup grows up understanding that the ex-pen is a barrier, and he learns to respect it, it could be 24" tall and he might stay inside. Once they get it in their heads that they can't get out, that will sometimes stay in their heads no matter how big they get.

Get the 36" one if you like, just be prepared to buy a bigger one when the puppy grows. I have one 36" ex-pen and ended up buying, like, four 42" ones.

Reactions: Golden Mommy

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I frankly don't remember which one we got, but I think it was the taller. Tayla couldn't be contained by a 6' fence with barbed wire when she was 6 months old. She was a horrible puppy. She learned how to scale it with ease. I'd go with the taller just in case you have a monkey. Actually, that is her nickname and it has stuck. I still call her my Tayla monkey or sometimes just monkey. She was a climber.

Reactions: Golden Mommy

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,941 Posts
You know, they make tops for the ex-pens, and sunshades. If you put a top on it, I don't see why you can't do with the 36" one. At dog shows I see 36" ex-pens covered with sunshades all the time, and the dogs just hang out in them.

Reactions: Brave

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
A plus to the 36 is that you can easily bend over it and pick puppy up- a 42 is a little harder and stepping over it is not doable, while stepping over a 36 is unsafe but possible. I know my dogs can jump out of one, but they all respect them and don't try. But little guys, they will put their front feet on them and a 36 would be easier to knock over. Get one w/a gate= you'll be glad for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts