Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Max and Willow had their combo vet appointment today. The bad news, yeast infections in ears and allergic reactions. The good news, they both have the same problem so I won't get mixed up giving the meds!!

Max is a solid 78 pounds. I did ask about if his weight at his age would be a problem, she said no - it's genetics at this point. He's slim and in a good weight range for him and I'm not over feeding him. Max has some yeast infections going in both ears - one a bit worse than the other but neither very bad. I also found out he's very allergic to flea spit. :( What a thing to be allergic too!!! He's tearing himself up with his chewing and scratching and now he's on a new flea medicine, we must bomb the house. She said that dogs with this allergy can be bit one time and itch for 3 weeks. I hate fleas!! Going to seriously bomb the house tomorrow AM before school/work. So allergy meds and antibiotics for the cuts he's giving himself. Fun fun!! Otherwise, he's super healthy she said - growing well, no other issues.

As an aside, let me mention how Willows visit went. She has some kind of seasonal allergy she's going through so same meds for her. And look, a yeast infection in the ear!! She's too chunky we know but we also know all the meds she was on for a very bad UTI for a month porked her up so no guilt trips from the vet. The best news of the visit came with her. She's had this bump thing growing on her cheek and I ask the vet about it. The vet looks concerned and gets a needle and a slide. She puts the needle in....and pulls out fluid!! It's a cyst!! I like that c word. We were worried it might be the other one. So she drained that, Willow got a clean bill of health otherwise.

So the bad news, goodbye 300 dollars. The good news, both of my babies are mostly healthy with not real health issues. Fun fun fun!!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me do the math over 250 for this visit, meds, and motion sickness med. 50 towards Wednesdays thousand dollar stay. So...that's even better, yes no?

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Glad your babies are healthy....hey its only money!! (that is what I keeping telling myself anyways)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am so happy to hear their check ups were good! :) At lease with yeast infections, it is something that can be cleared up with hopefully not too many problems. Yes...I fully agree....these Vets certainly aren't cheap, that is for sure.;)

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, yeast is an easy fix but lots of medicine and expenses pile up!! When she was cleaning my doggies ears I thought, gee, I no where clean deep down enough. I always did the rims but apparently you need to really reach in there to get the bottom part clean. Hoping that knowing this will keep them from getting more ear infections!!!

The flea allergy thing.... is that something anyone else has dealt with? I know that goldens are known for their allergies but this is a new one to me. I wonder if he's allergic to other kinds of spit. Hmm.

So relieved to have the meds/knowing that Willow is a okay. Max is barely itching at all and the meds have only been in him a few hours.

And 78 pounds - yeah, big!! I thought it would be more. If he continues to grow past a year into 2 years...I'm looking at a 100 pound dog, aren't I? I guess he's going to be daddy's size after all. If he stops here, he'll be close to his hardy farmgirl mommys weight and build. He is our Monster Max for sure, and we love that he's big except when he decides to sit or lay on us. Then it's not so great. :D

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Glad that they are doing so well. Thank goodness Willow's lump was only a cyst. With the ear infections and scratching and chewing to me it sounds more of a food issue. What kind of food are you feeding him?

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
The flea allergy thing.... is that something anyone else has dealt with? I know that goldens are known for their allergies but this is a new one to me. I wonder if he's allergic to other kinds of spit. Hmm.
My late great Winnie-the Pooch (collie/golden mix) was severely allergic to fleas. She would bite and scratch herself raw with just one bite. I ended up keeping her on Frontline and that took care of the problem.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice and comments. Carol, he's on Beneful. Yeah, I know I know not great food but it's the best I can afford. The medicine has really taken care of the problem. No itching at all!! I have Max on Advantix now as that also repels fleas and that really seems to be working for him. I know the allergy meds are keeping the itch away. I guess the real test will be when he goes off the meds and if we manage to get rid of the fleas, will he still be itchy?

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Who knew fleas spit? We buy frontline and it is the cheapest at Fleet Farm. Not sure if your near a Fleet Farm, it's half the cost then anywhere else and Frontline is the best for fleas and ticks. I buy all my doggie at kitty stuff at Fleet Farm!

I have a 15 year old kitty with chronic yeast infection. We can't get rid of it and we have tried every drop out there. We clean his ears out first with the blue solution before we add the drops. It's quite the process and he hates it.

Max is a big boy! That is why he isn't fitting in your bathroom.LOL Bailey is maybe 45-50 pounds... Her last vet visit 1.5 months ago she was 37 pounds.

I'm glad all is well with the furkids. I'm sorry to hear of the unexpected bill right before Christmas. Gotta loves those unexpected bills at the most inconvenient times.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who knew fleas spit? We buy frontline and it is the cheapest at Fleet Farm. Not sure if your near a Fleet Farm, it's half the cost then anywhere else and Frontline is the best for fleas and ticks. I buy all my doggie at kitty stuff at Fleet Farm!

I have a 15 year old kitty with chronic yeast infection. We can't get rid of it and we have tried every drop out there. We clean his ears out first with the blue solution before we add the drops. It's quite the process and he hates it.

Max is a big boy! That is why he isn't fitting in your bathroom.LOL Bailey is maybe 45-50 pounds... Her last vet visit 1.5 months ago she was 37 pounds.

I'm glad all is well with the furkids. I'm sorry to hear of the unexpected bill right before Christmas. Gotta loves those unexpected bills at the most inconvenient times.
Thanks for the advice re: frontline but we had Max on that and it didn't help. The dr said that he is big so something that you apply down the back would be better for him. It makes sense because it's been his back end he's been scratching at. So we're on Advantix and have a few months of that. Bombed the house today while we were at school and now bombing the back room the doggies were in and soon the kitty room the kitties are in.

Sorry to hear about your cat- that's no fun. Hoping Max's won't be chronic like that.

Lastly, yeah it was quite a bit more than I expected. Thank God for savings accounts!!

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
My bridge kid Tucker was allergic to fleas. I was just extra careful about baths, flea meds and checking him over. I was a constant job - but we managed - never had any real problems except the first time that we found out he was allergic.

My Tanner is allergic to bees - found that out one night on and e.r. visit.

I had one allergic to fleas and one allergic to bees ! yeah me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts