Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My 3 years old Golden used to love his M-W-F walks with the trainer. Recently the trainer comes to take him he growls at my house staff and refuses to go.

He has recently picked up quite a bit of weight, could it be that he has become lazy?

Any suggestions or comments?

Many thanks,

Bilal

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,670 Posts
It's possible your boy isn't feeling well, I would take him to your Vet for a check up to rule out any medical problem first.

You said he'd gained quite a bit of weight, carrying extra weight is hard on hips, joints and his overall health.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I would want to know if something traumatic had happened on one of the walks, or if the trainer had done something to hurt the dog or cause this reaction. Does your dog do this when other people take him out for walks, or only when the trainer comes? If it is only when the trainer comes, I would stop the walks with that person for now, and find someone else to take your dog out.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,670 Posts
I would want to know if something traumatic had happened on one of the walks, or if the trainer had done something to hurt the dog or cause this reaction. Does your dog do this when other people take him out for walks, or only when the trainer comes? If it is only when the trainer comes, I would stop the walks with that person for now, and find someone else to take your dog out.
I thought the same too.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ve heard thyroid issues can affect temperament. I don’t know if it’s true. But Because of the weight gain, I would have the Vet check his thyroid levels.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I agree with StarBright... for me a personality change + weight gain is a red flag for a thyroid issue. Certainly I'd want to eliminate that possibility, and that of physical discomfort, before looking to some sort of unpleasant interaction with the trainer or staff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts