Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Claire
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got Phoebe as a gift on Friday and she came to us with tear stains. She is 3 months old. I am trying to find out more about the breeder but haven't gotten anything back yet. They seem to have gone down a little bit but i just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas about it. I know it has something to do with her tear ducts. She also came.from a smokey family, we dont smoke could that be the cause of them decreasing? There is a close up picture of her on the under 1 forum - puppy digging in waterbowl on page 2.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
203 Posts
A friend's pup has an extra row of eye lashes that ticlke the pups eyes. The vet said "luckly he is a golden with soft fur and is didn't cut or scratch his eye, a different breed like boxer would have deep scratches or cuts". Her pup just had tears from the irritation. If you take a flash light you look at the rim of the eye lid and see tiny eye lashes. Also some dogs can have some in the corner of the eye and others have a eylid that rolls in. Good luck- hope for you and the pup's sake that it was the smoke and now it will clear up.

·
Gigi l'amoroso
52 Posts
It's quite common, Gino used to have a tear stain from his right eye. Bring it up to your vet to make sure it isn't anything serious with her eyes. Other than that, I wiped Gino's eyes daily with 2% Boric acid (from the pharmacy) and it has done wonders. I will post before and after pictures later (I am at work now) so you can see for yourself. I cannot recommend it enough, it soothes and cleanses the eyes perfectly, so you wouldn't have to worry about infection and it also gradually removes the tear stains.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts