Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 month old golden Jonny is driving me insane with his biting. I know that this is normal but his teeth are SO sharp and it almost puts me in tears when he bites me. I feel like I have tried everything, but he doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. I will hand him his toy and try to redirect his attention but he will just put it in his mouth for a second and drop it as soon as I move. He bites anywhere and everywhere, especially my calves and feet when I am walking and it HURTS. What worked for everyone else? I am hoping there will just be a magical day where he just stops and matures.
Thanks!

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Yes those shark teeth are sharp! I have scars on both hands to prove it and it seems like it will go on forever but it doesn't.

Everyone says once the baby teeth fall out the biting eases up and it has for Mandy. What seemed to work for us was to fold our arms across our chest and turn around or walk away with your hands out of sight. She eventually got it but I'll admit, it was very frustrating for quite a while.

Hang in there, at around 5 or 6 months it eases up considerably. Mandy is almost 6 months and just now lost her last canine tooth (it looked like a hook!).

·
Registered
406 Posts
It definitely gets better as they get older. Though it may seem like it gets worse before it gets better. We tried to reproduce very hurt "owwws" which would get Maya's attention for a second before she resumed biting. We also played the "shun" game where you turn away without eye contact and shun your puppy. We had limited success with both. Best is to have a tug toy handy and immediately redirect. Giving your pup any other toy may keep his interest for a split second before he realises biting you is way more fun, but playing tug is more engaging and interactive, so it may help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts