Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sophie turned 3 mos. 1/8/10 & her right front elbow has a large spot that is bald & seems callused w/ thin scabbing or maybe crusting over top. I think this is something that maybe getting larger but not sure (just noticed it the other day). Sophie is with me by my side pretty much 24/7 so I don't know how I didn't notice this before. Anyway, she is scheduled in 2 weeks for vacs. & would like to hold out to make a visit to the Vet until then ($) unless someone may be familiar with what I am speaking of & recommends not to wait. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Sophie is not in crate much at all during day. Sleeps in crate at night but it is the crate that my 100 lb. Shepherd fits in. I pretty certain it is not from the crate. I really appreciate ANY ideas or experience any of you may have or have had:)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've not seen a 3 month old with a real elbow callus, especially a house puppy. And if the other elbow doesn't look similar, it rings alarm bells. You should have you vet do a skin scrape looking for Demodex (a type of skin mite). I'd go in sooner than later. If she were my patient and positive for Demodex, I'd most likely put off vaccinating her also.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've not seen it in a 3 month old either. Brady started to develop elbow calluses when he was around 9 months old. It was mostly his left elbow, very little to nothing on his right, because when he lays down he tends to go down hard on the left side. They can develop these from hardwood/ceramic tile floors, and they look kind of bumpy and scabbed over at first, and become more whitish/scar tissue looking with a bald patch as they get more advanced. His have returned to normal since he now spends more time on the couch than on the floor. But it wouldn't hurt to have you vet check it out to be sure it's nothing more serious...I did.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have hardwood floors. I have a I have a piece of berber carpet on the floor of her crate. Those are the 2 places she sleeps. I will pay better attention to what side she sleeps on. It doesn't seem to bother her. Only me:(

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I see how she is sleeping, maybe the berber is rough?

If it remains small I'd have the vet check the next time your in the office. If it rows I'd take her to the vet.

Might just be a rub from sleeping on a hard surface.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I googled Demodex & looked @ pics. Sophies patch does not look anything like that. It's more like a callus with a lil' crusty over it. I'm just surprised @ such a young age she would get calluses. She is sleeping on that side as I type. Hhhhmmm.... I really appreciate all of your replies! Thank YOU!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
This is very common in kennel dogs, but, like the other posters, I've never seen it before in a 3 month old house dog.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been googling for hours now. Now I'm getting paranoid! Will call Vet on Monday. In the meantime I'm trying to decide if I should give Sophia a bath with anit fungul Malaseb or Flea/Tick shampoo? Just to try to slow down or stop anything. Everything I read on line goes to mites of some sort!!! Uuuggghhh.....also mentions low immune system...God I hope my Sophie is o.k...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If you could post a picture of the affected elbow it might help.

It sounds like it might be the hard floors she is lying on. Does she tend to lie down against/on that elbow more than the other side? I would also think that the carpet might be a little abrasive. Could you try putting some cotton sheet or similar around/over the carpet in the crate if she doesn't chew?

I wouldn't worry too much, although it wouldn't hurt to mention it to the vet when she next goes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
please forgive my ignorance when it comes to navigating a computer:( I tried many times to put a few more pics up but doesn't seemed to have worked. It was only by dumb luck I got the one pic up. Hopefully, someone may recognize the symptom

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
That looks more like an abrasion or skin infection than a callous. I would have that checked by the vet.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've not seen too many close ups of calluses, but that looks yucky (yep, that's the correct medical term). Have that looked at sooner or later. If it is mites, it's not the end of the world. Especially since she's a puppy. Let us know what the vet finds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will have the Vet look at it:) Scab is coming of leaving pink skin. I want to shampoo her today b/c she also has dry flake throughout her coat. Any Recommendation? I'm thinkin' I wanna look for a anit bacterial tearless dog shampoo. If such a thing exist

1 - 20 of 25 Posts