Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Now Fenway's Proud Mom!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been posts about this before but I'm hoping that someone might see something that we could do differently that might help Sam stay content in the house until a little later in the mornings.

As a younger puppy Sam would sleep till 5:00 or 5:30 and then wake to go outside. This was no problem as that's the time that I need to be getting up to go to work as well. However, he'll be a year next month and he's on a routine lately of waking us at 3:30 every single morning. I have tried all that I know to do. He sleeps in our bedroom and at 3:30 he wakes me up by jumping up and putting both paws on the bed. I have tried telling him "down" and rolling over to ignore him but he's persistent and will NOT let me sleep. So, I've tried getting up and taking him to pee (no talking, no petting, outside and straight back in), but when we come back inside he's WIRED. If I try to ignore him he leaps up and down beside the bed like a Mexican jumping bean. :p: This is obviously not an issue of him needing to pee, it's just that for some reason he wakes and is ready to start his day at 3:30. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to start the day alone and thinks he needs my company! :)

I've also tried gating him in the laundry room where he stays during the day while we are working, but that only results in him barking and waking the whole house up.

I think our problem lies in the fact that he likely sleeps most all day when we are gone and so when night time comes a short nap is all that's needed for him to feel energized and ready to play.

Any suggestions on how to cope with this? Is this simply one of those times that we need to try to wear him out with more and more exercise or are there other solutions?

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
My dogs can sleep all day and then still sleep all night. He's doing it b/c it works - it gets you up! Finding some way to be able to ignore him - even if it means training him to be quiet when gated away from you - is a good solution.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Lucy woke me up yesterday some point between 3 and 3:30, licking my eyeball. Her daddy fed her supper (not enough), so she was hungry and wanted to play outside. I have NO problem letting her outside for a few hours in the wee hours so that I can get some sleep.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would play more with him in the evening to tire him out. And you may have to spend a couple of nights ignoring him no matter how hard it is. He is training you to get his way and you need to nip it in the golden butt. LOL

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I would never leave my boys outside alone for several hours, especially in the middle of the night while I am asleep!
Oh, she wants to do it, the yard is securely fenced, there's nothing to hurt her, and usually after a good romp, she's asleep by the door waiting on me to let her back in, which I do very quickly usually. That is, unless she gets a case of the zoomies, which she does some morning when there's a lot of dew. There have been a few times I've had to just give her breakfast and fresh water and leave her to her craziness, especially if I try to let her in after I've dressed for work. Those are the days she can't usually get me to let her out soon enough. She obviously gets tired of being couped up with us.

Lucy's outside most nice days anyway while we're at work. She begs me to let her out a lot of mornings. I'm pretty sure it's "her" time. Since Bart and I both grew up with outside dogs, we don't mind letting her spend time outside. We don't ever make her stay out all the time. None of us could handle it. She does love spending hours chasing bugs and just running around, digging, throwing her toys around out there.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Chance would do this to me every night. Same time, about 3:00 am, and would not stop bugging me until I gave in. Pretty soon, Savanah started getting up also. Finally, I just started ignoring them. The begging got worse before it got better, so be prepared for a few sleepless nights. But ignoring him WILL work, you just have to stay strong. There is no reason he can't sleep through the night at his age, even if he sleeps all day.

Good luck! ;)

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I would never leave our crew outside by themselves either. Dog napping is not uncommon here.... they are taken and then usually sold at country flea markets.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I would never leave our crew outside by themselves either. Dog napping is not uncommon here.... they are taken and then usually sold at country flea markets.
Lucy's only out a few hours at a time alone at night. We have our privacy fence locked from the inside, and I hear pretty much everything (I'm becoming a very light sleeper the older I get). Lucy's so quiet no one would every know she was in the backyard at all. Like last night, she wanted to play with sticks at midnight, and I obliged her. I needed the sleep, and I want her to get all the outside time she can before Ike brings a few day's worth of rain here, and she's cooped up inside the house again. She was back in the house by 2:30, asleep on my feet.

·
Now Fenway's Proud Mom!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses everyone. I tried a couple of things last night. First, I kept him active during the evening later. Typically he lays around and naps when he wants while we eat dinner and watch tv and things at night, but last night I kept him on his feet most of the time even if it was just calling him over to give him a pet every few minutes. I'll admit that he gave me a couple of looks like "What is your deal woman?? I'm trying to settle down and rest here!!" :) Finally about 8:45 he looked so tuckered out I went ahead and let him crash. He was snoring in seconds.

The later bed time seemed to help some. He at least slept till 4:30 this morning and I was able to fend him off and ignore him until about 5:15. I could handle him waking at that time everyday, so we'll keep trying and see if we can get him into that routine.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We had a senior Golden who routinely woke me up at 4 a.m. by licking my face. When I would get up I would ask him where he wanted to go (front door for walk or back door with a dog door for bathroom) and he usually, but not always, wanted to go for a walk. 4 is a little too early (given the coyotes around). When he needed a bathroom break I would open the bedroom door and he would trot out back through the dog doors and then run right back inside. Our current senior boy wakes me up early on days where weather pressure changes are occuring. He's thunderphobic so it probably has something to do with that. He will also wake me with a cute little song and two step dance when he needs a bathroom break and he too does the trotting out and back. Our young high energy boy used to wake us up as a puppy because he was wide awake. We kept him occupied and exercised during the day but he was ready to go at 3 or 4. We finally leashed him to a piece of furniture. He did not crate well at night. Now, as a mature 4 year old he sleeps through the night but sometimes decides to wake us up at 5 by chasing and catching his tail, his sign that he needs a bathroom break.
I love how each dog has their own unique way of waking us up.
One of our rescue's foster moms has a young foster who grabs her slipper, jumps on the bed and drops it on her face. I might have a problem with that method!
We have a secure back yard but we do have a lot of wildlife back there. Our guys usually want to be right with us at night and never want to sleep outside.

·
Nicole
227 Posts
i have an early rising pup too...our only solution is to keep her crated. she rests longer in it & keeps quiet till about 6am-versus 4am. (then i let her out & go back to bed lol )
some people just can't fathom leaving their dogs out unattended but for some set-ups it's A-ok in my books
here is mine: dog napping not at all common, safe & rural area, chain link fence panels, dog house, lots of fresh water, good neighbours, shaded, partially decked, it is outside my bedroom window..on & on)

......and dammit sleep is important! :D
nicole

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
i have an early rising pup too...our only solution is to keep her crated. she rests longer in it & keeps quiet till about 6am-versus 4am. (then i let her out & go back to bed lol )
some people just can't fathom leaving their dogs out unattended but for some set-ups it's A-ok in my books
here is mine: dog napping not at all common, safe & rural area, chain link fence panels, dog house, lots of fresh water, good neighbours, shaded, partially decked, it is outside my bedroom window..on & on)

nicole
No kidding! That's how I see it with us. It's safe, and it works. Also, it's pretty funny when I let her in around 6:15 am, and she jumps in bed with Bart, carrying some nasty outside toy like a tennis ball that has soaked for days in the mud and tries to put it in his sleeping mouth.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
my dogs would like to eat all the cat poop out of the litter boxes...doesn't mean I let them or that it's ok for them to do it.

Mine also could sleep all day and then all night. I ignore every little sound they make when we're in the bedroom sleeping. And they all know that when I actuallyget out of bed is when they get to go outside.

·
Registered
699 Posts

nicole
I guess my way of dealing with my dogs comes a lot from having dealt with 5 human kids/babies/teens. I was the one who set the schedules for my human kids and I'm the one who sets it for my fur-kids, too. They know when we are getting ready for bed, we go outside for one last potty stop, then they run to their crates. They stay there until I am ready to let them up (after my first cup of coffee). My kids (both fur and non-fur) know that unless it involves blood, bodily fluids, or extreme emotional trauma, they sure as heck had better not be waking me up in the middle of the night! (and if you wake me up before 8 on a Saturday morning, you'd better be bringing me coffee, breakfast, and my laptop in bed...like today!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts