Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Yesenia I an from Southern Ca. I adopted a Golden retriever from a friend she is 2yrs,old . She was doing great at the beginning but now she is starting to tear things up! I.don't know why she is doing this but its frustrating and I don't know what to do other than yell at her and say NO! She is 2yrs old and very sweet girl I just don't know what to do about this problem please if you have any advice id greatly appteciate it!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Congratulations on your new girl! I would gate her in a safe room while you are out. Is she crate trained? A crate would be even better.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Lola will be two in August. She LOVES to tear things up. Make sure your pup has plenty of her own chew toys- Lola is a big fan of elk antlers. Another cheap amusement is the paper towel roll cardboard thing - If I just gave Lola those all day long, she would be in heaven. I make sure that any important papers are not at "Lola level" at all times.... sometimes she can not control herself... and she will go searching for something that is a NO NO. Funny thing is that after she chews up something that she knows is a "NO NO", Lola will bring it to me--- or lay in the belly rub position with the NO NO next to her... so I find her like that----:doh: she wants attention... that is the reason for chewing up the NO NO.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Does she do that only when you are not home, if so she probably has separation anxiety. I would also suggest confining her to a small area where she cannot destroy anything or in a crate when you are not home. Other than that, keep stuffing toys and chew bones in her face when she tries to chew on off limits stuff. I was doing that with my dogs when they were destructive and I would also scold them and thell them "NO". Another alternative is to put some pennies or pebbles in an empty soda can and tape the top shut. Whenever you catch her in the act or when she is getting ready to grab something, rattle the can or drop it. The noise usually scares them. You could also use a spray bottle with water and spray her when she is naughty. This works on my dachshund, lol. But, being a Golden she would probably enjoy the water, lol.
Good luck!

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
Yelling after the fact probably won't help at all. She's probably feeling anxious while you're away.

I would start training low key departures and arrivals - and introduce a crate if she doesn't already have one. Don't make the crate a punishment - rather a safe place. Many dogs actually like being crated because they feel safe and enclosed, like in a cave. I know this was the case for my girl. She went in on her own when she was feeling overwhelmed or sick.

Reactions: yesiandsandy

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
exercise,exercise and more exercise.Crate training with nice stuffy kong will help .

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,712 Posts
Congratulations on your new girl. Do you have any pictures to share, would love to see her.

First of all, take a DEEP breath, relax, and try to refrain from yelling at her. You can tell her NO when she's doing something you don't want her to do, but I feel yelling at a dog only makes the situation worse.

Since she is tearing things up when you're gone, for her own safety and so the things in your house won't get destroyed, it would be best to crate her whenever you're are. It sounds like she has Separation Anxiety.

My Roxy has Separation Anxiety, she is destructive. I use to crate her whenever I was gone. A few months ago I bought a Thundershirt-it's amazing how well they work. I no longer have to crate Roxy and she's not tearing anything up in the house when I'm gone now. She is able to roam freely in the house, I also have a crate for her that I leave open so she can go in and out of it whenever she wants.

Are you exercising her? Goldens, especially young ones such as your girl, need to be walked at least once daily, preferably more if possible. She also needs play time-I have a young golden boy, he's 3. I go out and play with him a couple times a day with a Chuck it and I also walk him at least once a day, and most days, 2 times. He enjoys swimming too and I'll be taking him as soon as the water temps warm up enough.

Make sure your girl has toys-tennis balls, antlers to chew on, stuffed animals, etc.

If your girl hasn't had any training, you might want to consider enrolling her in some training classes. They're fun and very beneficial for her and yourself.

Best of luck to you with her.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I agree, exercise to tire her out, would be an idea. Take her for a walk or play with her, before you leave the house.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agree, exercise might very well solve your problem. or she may have a bit of separation anxiety, my female (1.5 years) would get into everything and tear anything up if I left her just at home unattended, for this reason I crate her at night and when I'm not home both for the safety of my things and her safety. I also walk my girl twice a day and we play fetch for approx 30 mins every night, plus she gets play time all day with my other golden.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congratulations on your new girl. Do you have any pictures to share, would love to see her.

First of all, take a DEEP breath, relax, and try to refrain from yelling at her. You can tell her NO when she's doing something you don't want her to do, but I feel yelling at a dog only makes the situation worse.

Since she is tearing things up when you're gone, for her own safety and so the things in your house won't get destroyed, it would be best to crate her whenever you're are. It sounds like she has Separation Anxiety.

My Roxy has Separation Anxiety, she is destructive. I use to crate her whenever I was gone. A few months ago I bought a Thundershirt-it's amazing how well they work. I no longer have to crate Roxy and she's not tearing anything up in the house when I'm gone now. She is able to roam freely in the house, I also have a crate for her that I leave open so she can go in and out of it whenever she wants.

Are you exercising her? Goldens, especially young ones such as your girl, need to be walked at least once daily, preferably more if possible. She also needs play time-I have a young golden boy, he's 3. I go out and play with him a couple times a day with a Chuck it and I also walk him at least once a day, and most days, 2 times. He enjoys swimming too and I'll be taking him as soon as the water temps warm up enough.

Make sure your girl has toys-tennis balls, antlers to chew on, stuffed animals, etc.

If your girl hasn't had any training, you might want to consider enrolling her in some training classes. They're fun and very beneficial for her and yourself.

Best of luck to you with her.
she is really good that's just the only problem with her and i do take her for walks and on my bike i leash her she loves running :) what's a thunder-shirt? where can i get one of those? thanks for all of your help everyone and the warm welcome :) Sandy says hello (''') (''')

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Thanks for your reply :) how much is a crate? wont she feel even worse in one of those or would it be oK?
A crate will probably be about $100 or so and it will definitely help. It'll give her somewhere safe where she can't get into any trouble. She may not love it at first, but she will definitely get used to it and it will become like home base for her.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,712 Posts
she is really good that's just the only problem with her and i do take her for walks and on my bike i leash her she loves running :) what's a thunder-shirt? where can i get one of those? thanks for all of your help everyone and the warm welcome :) Sandy says hello (''') (''')
A Thundershirt looks almost like a coat you put on your dog. When you put it on them, it applies a slight pressure, which relaxes them, it wraps around them. The material it's made out of is a soft knit almost T shirt like material and it gives a little.

Here's a link to the Thundershirt website, I ordered mine directly from the co. because I needed an XL for my Roxy and I couldn't find that size in my area. You can buy them at Petsmart, maybe Petco too, not sure, we don't have that store in my area.

Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

The website has a lot of information about what it is, how it works, there are videos you can watch. There's a sizing chart, also instructions how to put it on your dog.

It was very worth the investment for my girl, right away I noticed how calm she was. I put it on her several days before we were planning to be gone the first time. I put it on her, leave it on for several hours, didn't make a big deal about her having it on. The first day we were going to be gone, I put it on her a couple of hours before we left. Came home to NO problems at all-left it on her for a couple of hours after we got back too.
I didn't want her to associate having the shirt on with us leaving. Roxy seems to enjoy having it on.

You can find Crates at Petsmart and other Pet Stores. You may be able to find a pre-owned one on Craigslist or if you have Yard Sale Websites in your area, you will probably find one there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I still crate my 15 month boy when I'm out. There was a period of time when he was younger and I left him outside the crate when I go out and he was ok being out of the crate. No tearing things up, no chewing things, no accidents in the house for potty etc. Then one day he decided to chew off the wood on the window ledge. From then on, i crate him wherever I go.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Yeslandsandy

Yeslandsandy

You asked how to post a picture.
You can either download a picture to your Gallery
Golden Retriever Photos
here, or save your pictures to your desktop,
then go to the manage attachmenbts button below,
click on it
choose browse and go to the picture.
then click on upload
Click on the preview post button
When you see the picture in your post
click on Submit reply.

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
Thanks for your reply :) how much is a crate? wont she feel even worse in one of those or would it be oK?
They cost about $100 - and are worth every penny. Many dogs feel much more secure in their own space, and you'll be relaxed knowing she is safe while you're at work. It might take her a little bit to get used to it. I'd start by setting it up in a common space (living room or kitchen) and just letting her explore it. Put in a comfy blanket and just leave it. If she shows interest, encourage her with a good girl. If she goes in, don't shut her in right away. Really let her get used to it for several days. Make it a good place. Put some treats in. It might help to have her sleep in it at night, too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts